Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does your state require a list of objectives for the upcoming school year?

Do you keep them very broad so that you don't need to write new ones each year?  Or do you make them very specific to help you with test writing?

If your state doesn't require objectives do you still write some just to keep you on track?  Or do you simply follow your kids' interests?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Fluency is something DS is working on as well.  I found that when he reads to other kids he does better than reading to me.  He tends to ask me what a word is even when he knows it, while he will work it out on his own when he reads to his friends. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I bought the teacher's editions of our math, science, social studies, etc., because I like all the extra activities and how they help map out the year for us.  I'll use the goals they list for each unit on our weekly to do list.

My own goals for my daughter include being comfortable trying new types of math problems on her own, ensuring she sticks with one topic when writing stories, and becoming more fluent when reading out loud.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, I just follow my kids interest.

oredeb
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

no objectives here!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Ohio wants a broad curriculum outline. I keep it somewhat vague. We aren't held to it, we just have to prove we thought about it lol.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Quoting mem82:

Ohio wants a broad curriculum outline. I keep it somewhat vague. We aren't held to it, we just have to prove we thought about it lol.

That's really what Pennsylvania wants too.  I know that I over-worried about it at the beginning.  Would you give us some examples from your list for the new homeschoolers that are faced with the requirements?

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, that's it exactly for math and reading.  A lot of the students in her class this year were the same way.  I think they just like to know they're thinking about things correctly.

They like the dogs because they just listen and don't correct them.  "Dogs don't judge!" :)

Quoting kmath:

Fluency is something DS is working on as well.  I found that when he reads to other kids he does better than reading to me.  He tends to ask me what a word is even when he knows it, while he will work it out on his own when he reads to his friends. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I bought the teacher's editions of our math, science, social studies, etc., because I like all the extra activities and how they help map out the year for us.  I'll use the goals they list for each unit on our weekly to do list.

My own goals for my daughter include being comfortable trying new types of math problems on her own, ensuring she sticks with one topic when writing stories, and becoming more fluent when reading out loud.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I can in a little while. I have to find my files since Rob moved everything on the computer around.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

That's really what Pennsylvania wants too.  I know that I over-worried about it at the beginning.  Would you give us some examples from your list for the new homeschoolers that are faced with the requirements?

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This will be my first year hs in Ohio.  IF you have a second, I'd definitely appreciate knowing how you do your notification.

Do you send a separate page for each of these 'assurances' or do you just check off the box?  I'm guessing items like the assurance to provide 900+ hours/year just need to be one line and a signature?

This is from the recommended notification form on the Ohio Ed. site.  I know other folks make their own, so I'm just using it as a guide:

Brief outline of intended curriculum for the current year. Such outline is for informational purposes only.

List of (a) textbooks; (b) correspondence courses; (c) commercial curricula; or (d) other basic teaching materials that the parent intends to use for home education. Such list is for informational purposes only.

Assurance that the child will be provided a minimum of nine hundred hours of home education each school year.

Assurance that the home education teacher has one of the following qualifications: (a) A high school diploma; or (b) The certificate of high school equivalence; or (c) standardized test scores that demonstrate high school equivalence; or (d) Other equivalent credential found appropriate by the superintendent; or (e) Lacking the above, the teacher must work under the direction of a person holding a baccalaureate degree from a recognized college until the child’s or children’s test results demonstrate reasonable proficiency or until the home teacher obtains a high school diploma or a certificate of high school equivalence.

The parent (s) shall affirm the above information supplied with his or her signature prior to providing it to the superintendent.

Quoting mem82:

I can in a little while. I have to find my files since Rob moved everything on the computer around.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Use the DOE's paper or the district you are in might send you one. It's very simple. Yup, just check the boxes. LOL They only want your child's name and birthdate. They don't want social security numbers or anything. Let me pull up my stuff. 8)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

This will be my first year hs in Ohio.  IF you have a second, I'd definitely appreciate knowing how you do your notification.

Do you send a separate page for each of these 'assurances' or do you just check off the box?  I'm guessing items like the assurance to provide 900+ hours/year just need to be one line and a signature?

This is from the recommended notification form on the Ohio Ed. site.  I know other folks make their own, so I'm just using it as a guide:

Brief outline of intended curriculum for the current year. Such outline is for informational purposes only.

List of (a) textbooks; (b) correspondence courses; (c) commercial curricula; or (d) other basic teaching materials that the parent intends to use for home education. Such list is for informational purposes only.

Assurance that the child will be provided a minimum of nine hundred hours of home education each school year.

Assurance that the home education teacher has one of the following qualifications: (a) A high school diploma; or (b) The certificate of high school equivalence; or (c) standardized test scores that demonstrate high school equivalence; or (d) Other equivalent credential found appropriate by the superintendent; or (e) Lacking the above, the teacher must work under the direction of a person holding a baccalaureate degree from a recognized college until the child’s or children’s test results demonstrate reasonable proficiency or until the home teacher obtains a high school diploma or a certificate of high school equivalence.

The parent (s) shall affirm the above information supplied with his or her signature prior to providing it to the superintendent.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, that is so true.  I wish we had a dog sometimes.  This would be one of those times. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep, that's it exactly for math and reading.  A lot of the students in her class this year were the same way.  I think they just like to know they're thinking about things correctly.

They like the dogs because they just listen and don't correct them.  "Dogs don't judge!" :)

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)