Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does your state require a list of objectives for the upcoming school year?

Do you keep them very broad so that you don't need to write new ones each year?  Or do you make them very specific to help you with test writing?

If your state doesn't require objectives do you still write some just to keep you on track?  Or do you simply follow your kids' interests?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM

So Hubby has the file I need hidden so I will have to post tonight. Ohio isn't very hard to pacify when it comes to our stuff. Remember, in Ohio, we are not asking permission to homeschool. We are telling them we are and we are giving them a vague outline on how we will go about it.

A material list (List your workbooks, any texts books, any books that you MIGHT use, websites, mention the library, and homeschool classes. It doesn't matter if you ise them or not. It's not a contract. You thought about using them is all that matters).

A brief outline of subjects. Mine usually reads something along the lines:

Language Arts

We will continue to expand our vocabulary with spelling words and dictionary work

We will continue to practice reading comprehension

We will cover Parts of Speech and various grammar tools

Math

We will continue our memorization of Math Facts

We will learn adding and subtracting, single and multiple digits

We will learn about perimeter and area

Multiplication will be introduced

I think my outline for my 2nd grader last year was one and a half pages total wrote in column style as shown above. We check the box that agrees to the allotted number of hours but we don't have to keep track. No one can ask us to prove our hours. 8) Oh, there is a line in our law that says, 'Child must be taught this, this, this, blah, blah, blah, EXCEPT if a parent disagrees with teaching it. That's our loophole to teach whatever you want. Don't feel you have to make sure to hit every subject they have listed.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Thanks! :-)

Quoting mem82:

So Hubby has the file I need hidden so I will have to post tonight. Ohio isn't very hard to pacify when it comes to our stuff. Remember, in Ohio, we are not asking permission to homeschool. We are telling them we are and we are giving them a vague outline on how we will go about it.

A material list (List your workbooks, any texts books, any books that you MIGHT use, websites, mention the library, and homeschool classes. It doesn't matter if you ise them or not. It's not a contract. You thought about using them is all that matters).

Language Arts

We will continue to expand our vocabulary with spelling words and dictionary work

Math

I think my outline for my 2nd grader last year was one and a half pages total wrote in column style as shown above. We check the box that agrees to the allotted number of hours but we don't have to keep track. No one can ask us to prove our hours. 8) Oh, there is a line in our law that says, 'Child must be taught this, this, this, blah, blah, blah, EXCEPT if a parent disagrees with teaching it. That's our loophole to teach whatever you want. Don't feel you have to make sure to hit every subject they have listed.

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Awesome!  Thank you so much!  I wasn't sure how exact our statements had to be or if they needed a mini novel of our intentions. 

Do you wait until late July/August to send your notification in or do you send it early & count summer learning too?

Quoting mem82:

Language Arts

Math

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I send mine in mid August. I make sure that the Board of Education's office is back open so it doesn't sit in a mail pile all summer with the potential to get lost. Some people find comfort in sending it certified so they KNOW someone has it and they have proof.

Remember, it doesn't matter if you *count* summer in your school year. You decide what goes into your hours and you don't have to keep track. If you take your kid to the grocery, that's an hour of school if he holds the list and checks things off. If you cook, if you pick weeds and talk about how weeds aren't wanted, that's school. No where do you need an attendance sheet. It's a hard thing to get over, but it really is key to enjoying homeschooling and being a slave to those 900 hours. I think 900 divided into 365 days is barely 3 hours a day. That's easy when you remember that everything except sleep is a learning experience. 8) If you go to the Zoo for 6 hours on one day, that *counts* as almost 2 days worth of work. LOL

Homeschooling in Ohio, is a lifestyle. After you send in your Letter of Intent (LOI) you don't talk to the school again unless you want your kids to test with the other kids at the end of the year for free. 8) The law can sound scary but it isn't. It's pretty easy.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Awesome!  Thank you so much!  I wasn't sure how exact our statements had to be or if they needed a mini novel of our intentions. 

Do you wait until late July/August to send your notification in or do you send it early & count summer learning too?

Quoting mem82:

Language Arts

Math

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I always send mine certified mail.  I've needed proof in the past (first year, now they know us).

Can you do 180 days instead of keeping track of hours?  We do days instead of hours and I use a calendar page and put stickers on each day we "do school".  It's a good way to break the "attendance sheet habit".  LOL

Quoting mem82:

I send mine in mid August. I make sure that the Board of Education's office is back open so it doesn't sit in a mail pile all summer with the potential to get lost. Some people find comfort in sending it certified so they KNOW someone has it and they have proof.

Remember, it doesn't matter if you *count* summer in your school year. You decide what goes into your hours and you don't have to keep track. If you take your kid to the grocery, that's an hour of school if he holds the list and checks things off. If you cook, if you pick weeds and talk about how weeds aren't wanted, that's school. No where do you need an attendance sheet. It's a hard thing to get over, but it really is key to enjoying homeschooling and being a slave to those 900 hours. I think 900 divided into 365 days is barely 3 hours a day. That's easy when you remember that everything except sleep is a learning experience. 8) If you go to the Zoo for 6 hours on one day, that *counts* as almost 2 days worth of work. LOL

Homeschooling in Ohio, is a lifestyle. After you send in your Letter of Intent (LOI) you don't talk to the school again unless you want your kids to test with the other kids at the end of the year for free. 8) The law can sound scary but it isn't. It's pretty easy.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Language Arts

Math

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think Ohio only lists it by hours (not completely sure) but I think that's a good idea. 8)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I always send mine certified mail.  I've needed proof in the past (first year, now they know us).

Can you do 180 days instead of keeping track of hours?  We do days instead of hours and I use a calendar page and put stickers on each day we "do school".  It's a good way to break the "attendance sheet habit".  LOL

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Language Arts

Math

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is autistic, so my objective is simple. I don't want him to regress (doesn't happen yet)  that's why I am homeschooling all year round.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a huge relief!  I really wanted to have M-Th as our 'book learning' days, and Fridays as our zoo/museum/'what would you like to know more about' time together.

That's a great point on end of summer when the office staff is back in the office.  :)

Thanks again, so much, for your input!  I'm really looking forward to making learning fun again for her, but saw 900 hours and all the formal-sounding laws.  I'm glad to know we can enjoy ourselves too!

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Quoting mommy4lyf:

My son is autistic, so my objective is simple. I don't want him to regress (doesn't happen yet)  that's why I am homeschooling all year round.

That is a great objective!

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mommy4lyf:

That is a great objective!

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)