Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does your state require a list of objectives for the upcoming school year?

Do you keep them very broad so that you don't need to write new ones each year?  Or do you make them very specific to help you with test writing?

If your state doesn't require objectives do you still write some just to keep you on track?  Or do you simply follow your kids' interests?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Replies (41-46):
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I list what materials we plan to use and then bullet point the objectives underneath each item listed. The bullet pointed objectives are just the table of contents. =) Me and the school are on a needs to know basis.

Personally, I have no real schedule. I won't be sitting down to start really preparing things until my math is here (that is the last bit that I am waiting on for my core curriculum materials to be all here). I will have weekly plans. But if it takes longer, that is okay. I don't want to try and schedule it all out though. I know what path we are taking - so it's not like we are going to get lost. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I list what materials we plan to use and then bullet point the objectives underneath each item listed. The bullet pointed objectives are just the table of contents. =) Me and the school are on a needs to know basis.

Personally, I have no real schedule. I won't be sitting down to start really preparing things until my math is here (that is the last bit that I am waiting on for my core curriculum materials to be all here). I will have weekly plans. But if it takes longer, that is okay. I don't want to try and schedule it all out though. I know what path we are taking - so it's not like we are going to get lost. 

Typically general objectives have no schedule associated with them.  I am truly hopeful that our school district doesn't believe I should have my year's lessons scheduled this early. :-)

I list my textbooks, but no other materials.  I also try to keep the district at arms' length.  ;-)

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I know that they don't expect a schedule. 

I just generally do my homeschooling stuff while preparing things for the year. Plus, I was reading the comments to this post and kind of referring more to what I was reading about lesson planning, in the second paragraph. 

Yeah, I only list our core curriculum materials. The books are listed at the end of the year for the reading list requirement that the state has.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Typically general objectives have no schedule associated with them.  I am truly hopeful that our school district doesn't believe I should have my year's lessons scheduled this early. :-)

I list my textbooks, but no other materials.  I also try to keep the district at arms' length.  ;-)

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

lucsch
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, the state does not have any objectives. I follow Heart of Dakota's plans, for the most part. The only ones I consider are mine (religious and academic) and college entrance requirements.

Momof697
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM

My broad ones were   I want to teach my kids how to learn what they want (i.e. I have encyclopedias and my kids have all learned out of them like one daughter wanting to know about broccoli so she looked it up and then read all about broccoli and then gave me an oral report with me having to ask. )     I also want them to love learning( the experience and the search and the end result)

For more in depth goals I want my kids to have high character morals, to seek God, to be able to talk to adults as well as play with kids, I want them to do the best for them academically (each child will be different on this) I want my kids to seek out how to be great parents and great spouses. 

I know I put more in them but as I can not remember them all this will have to be all for now.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Momof697:

My state does not require them. But I wrote goals for our homeschool a couple years ago. and I still hold to those.

I would guess they are broad and general.  Could you give a few example for our newbies?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Looks good.  I like the idea of setting a goal to teach the love of learning!

Quoting Momof697:

My broad ones were   I want to teach my kids how to learn what they want (i.e. I have encyclopedias and my kids have all learned out of them like one daughter wanting to know about broccoli so she looked it up and then read all about broccoli and then gave me an oral report with me having to ask. )     I also want them to love learning( the experience and the search and the end result)

For more in depth goals I want my kids to have high character morals, to seek God, to be able to talk to adults as well as play with kids, I want them to do the best for them academically (each child will be different on this) I want my kids to seek out how to be great parents and great spouses. 

I know I put more in them but as I can not remember them all this will have to be all for now.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Momof697:

My state does not require them. But I wrote goals for our homeschool a couple years ago. and I still hold to those.

I would guess they are broad and general.  Could you give a few example for our newbies?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)