Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I got my first negative reaction today. :(

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 27 Replies
I haven't told everyone in my life that we are homeschooling next year. I haven't even told my mil and we live with her. I was petrified to tell my own mother. But her reaction was much better than I expected.

I have told a couple people at work but since I work in a public school I haven't announced it to everyone, just those I am fairly sure will approve, lol. Well I said it to another coworker today because I was letting her know I'm looking for a baby or two to watch and she had a baby recently. She gave me that scrunched up nose look and asked "why?!" my reaction wasn't as I had expected either, it almost made me question why. She told me she knew someone that was hs'ed and they are "weird". I explained that that is the least of my worries. I wish I had said you'll see when your baby comes home from ps asking the questions my kids are asking or acting the way my kids are acting or crying the way my youngest is crying. I didn't think of all of that though because I was thrown by her face and reaction to me! I'm surprised I haven't gotten this reaction sooner and I really thought I was prepared for it. But I guess I wasn't :(.

I am really just feeling down right now. I know we are making the right decision and I am really set on doing it, but this made me wonder and feel sad, it kind of sucked the excitement out of me today :(
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM
3 moms liked this

It's not something anyone can really prepare for.  I'm sorry she reacted that way.  I'm glad you know you are making the right decisions for you family, and you will get through this "down" time.

AJ-47
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Luckily, I haven't gotten anything but positive reactions..but I'm sure there's a first time for everything. I'm sorry she reacted that way..there are so many people who stereotype and judge, even if there is no reason to do so.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this

So far I haven't gotten any positive reactions, so I am getting better about my reactions when people try to talk me out of it.  You will as well if you run into much opposition.  Just be thankful you do have people that support you and keep remembering this really is the best thing for your kids.  Other people are gonna have opinions, but they aren't living your life so ignore what they say and do what is best for you guys.

oredeb
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

awwww thats ok debbie,  it happens, theres lots of things in our lives that make us think about our decisions we make! and thats good! keeps us up on our toes(i think the saying is!)

now think of all the benefits your kids are gona have! no bullying, no crowded classrooms, no getting up early!!hahah, no homework!!, you get to put in your kids what you want, you get to guide them, you get to have fun with them! you get to teach them all kinds of stuff! see their reactions, watch when they accomplish tasks, be there when they hurt or are sad, etc!

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM
5 moms liked this
We always think of the good things to say after the fact.
Just know you are doing what's right for your family. On top of that there are plenty of kids in public school that are weird. Honestly I'd rather have "weird" kid than a "normal" kid.
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I hate that you had to go through that. Know that her reaction is sadly normal for some that work in school systems!

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry your friend acted like that. It would be interesting to catch up with her 7 years from now & see if her tune has changed.
lucsch
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, dear...you need to grow a thicker skin! Why does HER opinion matter to you? So many people make judgments based upon so little knowledge! Of course, someone in a public school is going to have that reaction! If everyone homeschooled, she would be out of a job.

Another thing...don't feel you have to come up with a witty reply. I think the best thing to do in those cases is just give them a blank look. It is unnerving when someone doesn't either validate your opinion or at least react to it, even in a negative way.

ablessedlife
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh you poor thing!
Last winter one of my uncles spoke badly about hsing in front of my parents and their siblings. I was not there to defend myself. My parents did not know how to defend hsing. My mother told me about it later and it brought me down for months! Isn't that terrible? How we let the reactions of others make us doubt, when we are really doing something wonderful? It is human nature to want the approval of other human beings, isn't it? After this whole experience I decided that I would have to change. That I would have to stop seeking the approval of others (which is how I have been up to that point). It has been a time of growth for me.
But I have also been encouraged by many people since that time. Last week a new HS mom, who happens to be a teacher and whose husband is a doctor, came to my home to ask me some curriculum questions. She mentioned numerous times how impressed she was and said that I had really encouraged her! Also, I had to get a new doctor recently, and at the first visit, he asked me many personal questions. When he found out about the homeschooling (drum roll)... He told me, "Your children will thank you one day." He looked at me like he had true admiration for me and I felt like a queen when I left his office (LOL)!
I wish you much strength in your hs journey!
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

sorry you went thru that...hope you will not let it dampen your resolve

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)