Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I got my first negative reaction today. :(

Posted by   + Show Post
I haven't told everyone in my life that we are homeschooling next year. I haven't even told my mil and we live with her. I was petrified to tell my own mother. But her reaction was much better than I expected.

I have told a couple people at work but since I work in a public school I haven't announced it to everyone, just those I am fairly sure will approve, lol. Well I said it to another coworker today because I was letting her know I'm looking for a baby or two to watch and she had a baby recently. She gave me that scrunched up nose look and asked "why?!" my reaction wasn't as I had expected either, it almost made me question why. She told me she knew someone that was hs'ed and they are "weird". I explained that that is the least of my worries. I wish I had said you'll see when your baby comes home from ps asking the questions my kids are asking or acting the way my kids are acting or crying the way my youngest is crying. I didn't think of all of that though because I was thrown by her face and reaction to me! I'm surprised I haven't gotten this reaction sooner and I really thought I was prepared for it. But I guess I wasn't :(.

I am really just feeling down right now. I know we are making the right decision and I am really set on doing it, but this made me wonder and feel sad, it kind of sucked the excitement out of me today :(
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Iget that all the time with my husband Mother-in-laws. They get to me all the time but I ask myself all the time.I look at what my children has took out of this. My older son was in a special reading class I found if he pick his own books I ask him questions on that it would come out better he understands it. My oldest daughter reading at a 7th trade level. My two 5(just turned five today) can write and write their name their older two sibling name and mom and dad name. They both both know how to spell each other name. I do not spend up at nights four an fives trying to reach my oldest son his math.we take it day by day. My younger can not sit down so he would be in trouble all the time that is that way he learns he have to stand and he learns thru music. My youngest daughter would not talk all. We as a family started working with her and she started to talk a lot she was the first to write herd name spell her name tie her school try to read every thing she see. Write every letter and sound all except for three.
www.havefunteaching.com

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I haven't told everyone in my life that we are homeschooling next year. I haven't even told my mil and we live with her. I was petrified to tell my own mother. But her reaction was much better than I expected.

I have told a couple people at work but since I work in a public school I haven't announced it to everyone, just those I am fairly sure will approve, lol. Well I said it to another coworker today because I was letting her know I'm looking for a baby or two to watch and she had a baby recently. She gave me that scrunched up nose look and asked "why?!" my reaction wasn't as I had expected either, it almost made me question why. She told me she knew someone that was hs'ed and they are "weird". I explained that that is the least of my worries. I wish I had said you'll see when your baby comes home from ps asking the questions my kids are asking or acting the way my kids are acting or crying the way my youngest is crying. I didn't think of all of that though because I was thrown by her face and reaction to me! I'm surprised I haven't gotten this reaction sooner and I really thought I was prepared for it. But I guess I wasn't :(.

I am really just feeling down right now. I know we are making the right decision and I am really set on doing it, but this made me wonder and feel sad, it kind of sucked the excitement out of me today :(

Pumamama
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't feel you have to explain to anyone your decision. A simple, "Obviously, I feel it's best for my family." will do.  Or in answer to "why?" say "Because I'm fortunate enough to be able to do so." and leave it at that.  Or you could go, "I'm sorry you don't love your baby as much as I love mine." Yes, I'm kidding. That's just plain obnoxious. You might be down because you haven't started. I just made the decision to homeschool this next school year. It's like trying to prepare to climb a mountain you can't see. But have faith in yourself. The worst that can happen is you send them back to a tradional school.

Quoting somuchlove4U:
 Honestly I'd rather have "weird" kid than a "normal" kid.

This might be my school motto:-D 

Momof697
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I was told by a couple in our church that hsing doesn't work That they have seen more bad than good. My kids should be in school.

A couple years later I asked her to fix a pair of pants for me (I have a size 11 foot and they covered my foot. take from a bell bottom to a flare)  When I went to pick them up she asked who else was in my Hsing group. I told her a few names but 1 family is like their grandson and family and I totally forgot them.

She has not said any more negative to me, really they were the only ones that have ever said anything negative other than my in laws.

Hang in there negative reactions to what we think is better for our kids is never a good thing.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM
3 moms liked this

The next time someone reacts with *a knew a weird homeschooler* point out that most modern day serial killers are a product of the public school system.

Or go into a long winded speech about the weird kid who sat next to you in third grade.

I personally like to widen my eyes really big when someone says that to me. Then I cackle and lean towards them, staring at them intently with my wide unblinking eyes. After a moment I whisper, "It doesn't matter. We're all a little strange on the inside...aren't we?" Then, just keep staring until they walk away. The key is to not blink. I promise you they will never say another thing about you homeschooling! TA DA!!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

rolling on floor  That totally cracked me up!  I love your ideas!

Quoting mem82:

The next time someone reacts with *a knew a weird homeschooler* point out that most modern day serial killers are a product of the public school system.

Or go into a long winded speech about the weird kid who sat next to you in third grade.

I personally like to widen my eyes really big when someone says that to me. Then I cackle and lean towards them, staring at them intently with my wide unblinking eyes. After a moment I whisper, "It doesn't matter. We're all a little strange on the inside...aren't we?" Then, just keep staring until they walk away. The key is to not blink. I promise you they will never say another thing about you homeschooling! TA DA!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I totally talk about the weird middle schoolers I taught over the years (I omit the names of course and live far away from where I used to teach)!!  And boy Oh boy are there some doozies out there!!  LOL

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

LOL IKR? There are some weird folks out there. We had a boy in our high school that carried a small teddy bear poking out of his back pack. He wasn't doing it for laughs or because he was special needs. He also had some anger issues.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I totally talk about the weird middle schoolers I taught over the years (I omit the names of course and live far away from where I used to teach)!!  And boy Oh boy are there some doozies out there!!  LOL

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I taught a boy that was so afraid to touch people that he would walk sideways with his hands in the air like a fiddler crab.  It wasn't considered a special need either.  His parents just had him terrified of germs.

Quoting mem82:

LOL IKR? There are some weird folks out there. We had a boy in our high school that carried a small teddy bear poking out of his back pack. He wasn't doing it for laughs or because he was special needs. He also had some anger issues.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Knightquester
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't let the thoughts of others decide how my day will go or what I will do.  I will listen to their views and opinions and filter through them.  Sometimes people will say something that I don't want to hear that has a sprinkle of truth or wisdom to it and if I ignored them then I would remain ignorant.  Also knowing both sides mentally prepares you for the fact that you might hear those same thoughts later, and you might be better prepared for them later.

Homeschoolers can be weird, but what is weird?  What is normal if you're going to ask what is weird?  When you figure both of those two out, let me know.  What I think is that normal is the social norm (what the majority of people are doing or think should be done).  Most don't want to take the time, effort, money, or energy to homeschool when they can toss their children into a free daycare... er' I mean free school and not mess with all of that, socially public school is the norm, so anything else is weird.

I was recently told my children were weird because they love to learn, yes that marks a child weird now days I guess.  They enjoy going to school and doing school, so one of the parents at my childrens Japanese school told me they were weird because they enjoy going there when most of the children there were pressured or made to attend.

My theory is that weird is not always a bad thing.  My children don't walk the lines of social norm, but then again they don't care or take offense when people point that out.  They have lots of friends all from different backgrounds, ages, some public, private and some homeschooled.  They just do things that maybe are outside the box of thinking, like try to film their own zombie movie, sew dolls using old fabric and buttons, read books for fun, research things they want to learn more about, create experiments to see if their theories would work.  Personally I like their kind of weird, and prefer them over some of the children that lack a sense of humor, or that don't like to research and would rather somebody do it for them or hold their hand through things.

PEEK05
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Sorry mama :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN