Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got my first negative reaction today. :(

Posted by   + Show Post
I haven't told everyone in my life that we are homeschooling next year. I haven't even told my mil and we live with her. I was petrified to tell my own mother. But her reaction was much better than I expected.

I have told a couple people at work but since I work in a public school I haven't announced it to everyone, just those I am fairly sure will approve, lol. Well I said it to another coworker today because I was letting her know I'm looking for a baby or two to watch and she had a baby recently. She gave me that scrunched up nose look and asked "why?!" my reaction wasn't as I had expected either, it almost made me question why. She told me she knew someone that was hs'ed and they are "weird". I explained that that is the least of my worries. I wish I had said you'll see when your baby comes home from ps asking the questions my kids are asking or acting the way my kids are acting or crying the way my youngest is crying. I didn't think of all of that though because I was thrown by her face and reaction to me! I'm surprised I haven't gotten this reaction sooner and I really thought I was prepared for it. But I guess I wasn't :(.

I am really just feeling down right now. I know we are making the right decision and I am really set on doing it, but this made me wonder and feel sad, it kind of sucked the excitement out of me today :(
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Replies (21-27):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I have always been a rebel, or just really disinterested in what other people think, because I generally look forward to those moments of either disbelief or flat out disapproval.  I have only ran into one really combative person on the issue, but it wasn't someone I knew well, so it didn't matter one iota to me. This person was just a bitter individual and told me there should be laws against homeschooling and I should be prosecuted. Oh well. My biggest problem is with those mothers who think I'm somehow nuts for wanting to be with my kids all day. Kind of sad, really.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Thank you all soo soo much for the responses!  I am feeling better about it.  I was down, but stopped by a friend's house (new friend down the street who homeschools) after getting my kids off the bus and was just so reassured that I know I am making the right decision.

Then yesterday I was given my "assignment" for next year at work as a paraprofessional (a one on one, typically for kids with Autism) and it is a much more mellow assignment than I have had for the past three years and I stopped in my tracks and considered staying at work and trying to homeschool.  I came home and remembered all my reasons why that won't work.  DH also made a joking comment "someone has to work around here" which is his way of reassuring me that we will make it work with me working less. 

Then today we stopped at the library (we know the children's librarian well, we already spend a lot of time there, lol) after the librarian had come to my school to introduce the library to our kindergarteners, and she asked what I'm thinking about next year, when I said I'm torn but I really do want to homeschool, she said "go with your gut" and was just really supportive. 

There is so much more support than negative reactions so far. I just wasn't as ready as I had thought I was, I think I just wasn't expecting that reaction from this person.  But I will grow a thicker skin and be more confident in my decision. 

Thank you all again!!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I agree it's sad.  My kids can drive me crazy, but from what I gather, homeschooling creates a whole different dynamic and relationship with the kids.  I am so looking forward to getting to know them more and not just being annoyed by how slow they are or how whiny they are, or whatever else.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I guess I have always been a rebel, or just really disinterested in what other people think, because I generally look forward to those moments of either disbelief or flat out disapproval.  I have only ran into one really combative person on the issue, but it wasn't someone I knew well, so it didn't matter one iota to me. This person was just a bitter individual and told me there should be laws against homeschooling and I should be prosecuted. Oh well. My biggest problem is with those mothers who think I'm somehow nuts for wanting to be with my kids all day. Kind of sad, really.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Thank you, you are so right about all the benefits. I can't wait for all of those things.  And they are getting really excited too.  I have considerd hsing for so long and my DS was always against it, he loves school and his friends.  The more we talk about it though, the more excited he is and he really wants to do it now, he is realizing how bored he is in school and how much he can do if he's home!

Now, how did you know my name?  I thought at one point we were adding them to our sn's but I don't see names next to them..am I missing it??

Quoting oredeb:

awwww thats ok debbie,  it happens, theres lots of things in our lives that make us think about our decisions we make! and thats good! keeps us up on our toes(i think the saying is!)

now think of all the benefits your kids are gona have! no bullying, no crowded classrooms, no getting up early!!hahah, no homework!!, you get to put in your kids what you want, you get to guide them, you get to have fun with them! you get to teach them all kinds of stuff! see their reactions, watch when they accomplish tasks, be there when they hurt or are sad, etc!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:23 PM

This is why I really haven't mentioned it to anyone.  I have two people that know I have made up my mind (I have 24 coworkers) and three that know I've been considering it.  I'm not ready to quit completely, so I have been careful who knows for that reason, but also because I don't want to have to explain myself to people that are so close-minded.  And I hate to say that about my coworkers, I really like them all, but they really only believe one thing and don't really consider that other things can be good too!

Quoting usmom3:

I hate that you had to go through that. Know that her reaction is sadly normal for some that work in school systems!

sdgd21
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed! And I know so many great homeschooled kids! Mine are few ;-). We actually have organizations that request my kids to do interviews for their company.
It was one of the best, and one of the hardest decisions of my life. You will be very glad that you did. Trust me. :-)

Quoting somuchlove4U:

We always think of the good things to say after the fact.

Just know you are doing what's right for your family. On top of that there are plenty of kids in public school that are weird. Honestly I'd rather have "weird" kid than a "normal" kid.
Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Sorry about that but take it with a grain of salt. My sister was negative but when she says something belligerent and I turn it into a positive she stops talking negatively. Sometimes with some people it isn't worth of proving your point about homeschooling being worth it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)