Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science Immersion question? (Apologia related)

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
My two oldest children love science, but they are interested in two very different subjects right now. I love the immersion approach to learning..my kids do well with it.
I am trying to decide between studying one subject with each child, or studying two different ones with both of them at the same time?
They are 8 (2nd grade) and 6 (1st grade)
the eight years old wanted to study one of the zoology books, and the six year old wants to study astronomy.
If I do them separately I will probably split them up and do one on Monday and Wednesday. Then the other on Tuesday and Thursday. If I do them both at the same time..well I'm just not sure.
any advice?
Have you had a situation like this? What did you do?
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I am homeschooling my 9 and 10.5 yr olds together. My son wanted to do Astronomy and my daughter wanted to do Botany. Botany made more sense with our Life Science (Pandia Press) - so we went with that. Next we will do Astronomy. With the schedule we have, I am able to do two Apologia's a year (we homeschool year round). 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my boys pick a number of science units to study and then I put them in an appropriate order.  (In other words, I don't want to be studying the night sky in January!)

lucsch
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I think the typical child is too young for those books before 3rd grade age--so 8//9, not that you couldn't try. I'd repeat them later if you do use them. Now, my eldest probably would have done well with them at your kids' ages, but my other 3 would not have. I'd choose the one your older child wants to do and let the other tag along.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM
We will definitely be doing these books multiple times during elementary age.
I spoke with the kids and we decided to do them separately. The oldest is going to Zoology three and the second oldest is doing astronomy. I'm going to 'dumb it down' for her. May not have to do it too much though..she is pretty far ahead. She will be six in September and started first grade work in March. She is also reading chapter books in the second to third grade level.
Thanks for the advice. :)

Quoting lucsch:I think the typical child is too young for those books before 3rd grade age--so 8//9, not that you couldn't try. I'd repeat them later if you do use them. Now, my eldest probably would have done well with them at your kids' ages, but my other 3 would not have. I'd choose the one your older child wants to do and let the other tag along.
PEEK05
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I would probably do the same science with both of the boys.

ablessedlife
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I have a friend with only one child. They do three Apologia books at the same time. They just do certain ones on certain days. It takes them more than a year to finish.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN