Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First grade curriculum, California

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

We are starting our homeschooling journey this year.  I am super excited, but also a little nervous.  Can anybody tell me what the California curriculum is for first grade?  I want to make sure that I am doing everything legally and will be satisfying the department of education if I ever get a visit.  I've looked on the California Department of Education's website, but I can't seem to find a layout for what is required for first grade.  If you have any advice on how to make this a fun and memorable experience as cheaply as possible, I would love to learn from you.  Thank you so much!

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gratefulgal
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

You an contact your localschool dstrict and they will gie you a printed off copy of their scope and sequence. That's what I had to do! Good luck!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM

The Department Of Education will not be of much help.  They lose money  when children leave the public school system. Children graduate from public schools unable to do basic math without a calculator, and unable to read at grade level.  .   You are correct in that you want to make sure you are doing what is needed,  But home school is so much better than public school, so go for better rather than just required. 

There is tuns of help out there from veteran home educators, and here are some for you in California. 

California State Home School Laws

Home School Help In California

How To Home School gives you  methods used by home educators (much better than the left brain teaching required in P.S.), grade level requirements and more. 

luvnyoustwos
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much!  Yes, I definitely want to educate my little man at his speed and not hold him back.  He is excellent in math, reading, writting, and he absorbs information like a sponge.  I know that he is beyond first grade in many areas, I just want to make sure that every topic required will be studied.  I totally appreciate your information and guidance.  I was shocked to see that things kindergarteners must know before entering first grade were things we have been working on since birth, literally.  Public school is a no go for us.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You are most welcome, and thank you for letting me know it is helpful.  :-)

Quoting luvnyoustwos:

Thank you so much!  Yes, I definitely want to educate my little man at his speed and not hold him back.  He is excellent in math, reading, writting, and he absorbs information like a sponge.  I know that he is beyond first grade in many areas, I just want to make sure that every topic required will be studied.  I totally appreciate your information and guidance.  I was shocked to see that things kindergarteners must know before entering first grade were things we have been working on since birth, literally.  Public school is a no go for us.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-create-free-first-grade-math-curriculum-478255.html?cat=4

Damand.com

Password:BOB

Grammar Rock CD

School house rock

I seen on UTube

http://www.jumpstart.com/teachers/curriculum/grade-based/1st-grade-curriculum

LeapFrogs movies

Magic School Bus for science

WildKrats comes on tv at four where we live on channel 12

Body

5 senses

http://www.k12reader.com/first-grade-spelling-words/

LoriAlane8
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM

You could enroll in CAVA (California Virtual Academy). It is a public school done at home. Awesome K12, Inc. curriculum is used. Teachers to help when you need it. No cost to you.

Pumamama
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Quoting LoriAlane8:

You could enroll in CAVA (California Virtual Academy). It is a public school done at home. Awesome K12, Inc. curriculum is used. Teachers to help when you need it. No cost to you.

But don't you have to have rigid attendance and 8 hour days without much room to cater to your child's interests? That's what I heard, so I'd be interested in people's experience with this.

Also loving the resources listed in these reponses, thanks!

calimom1123
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Im in Ca and theres really no set grade level requirements. If you use a box curriculum like abeka,bju those have scope and sequences which tell what they will be learning through the year and are usually ahead of public school requirements. I search online too for what in general kids in my dd's grade need to know. But again theres no set things you have to teach but you must agree to teach the core subjects,math,english,ss,science and I believe p.e. You also have to keep attendance records. Other than that its simple!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Have you read your state laws regarding homeschooling. Most do not have specific requirements on what has to taught each year. 

LoriAlane8
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM
No, you do not have to work 8 hours a day. That would be way too much...even for my high school students! The school does want you to spend adequate time on each subject and finish at least 80% of the subject before moving to the next grade. You can work at your own pace but are very much encouraged to get through a grade within the school year. You have plenty of time to branch out to other interests, do school any time during the day or evening. Many think you have to keep very strict records on time spent on each subject but we do not. We are required to put in attendance but what you do on those days can be flexible. The main thing is making progress and learning.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)