Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any moms from FL? suggestions on umbrella school?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 21 Replies
Price is my main concern. Just heard this umbrella option is the best for fl homeschooling mamas. I dont need free but im homeschooling 2 kids. Their curriculum is all paid for. Im not doing a full christian
curriculum (sotw, bible studies, bju science, and other presshill press) rest is secular.
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysxo
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Ive heard alot about homeschool life academy? Ive emailed them but worried on price.. any other GOOD options?
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I know of several in the Central Fl area.

krysxo
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Im in hillsborough. But from my understanding alot do state wide?
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Here is a list of Umbrella Schools in Florida.  Also you might contact your district coordinator or a home school co-op near you for suggestions as to which one they like. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We have a mom in our HS group who runs an unbrella school and many of our local members go through her.  I am with midfloridahomeschoolers.....it is a yahoo group.  There is also Circle and and many others.  Most private schools have an umbrella option.  I haven't found anything for less than a $1,000 dollars.  Sadly, I can't remember if that was a month or for the year.  I stopped listening when they gave me the total.

Quoting krysxo:

Im in hillsborough. But from my understanding alot do state wide?

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Why do you say the umbrella school is the best option?  Just wondering cause I hadn't heard that.

Quoting krysxo:

Price is my main concern. Just heard this umbrella option is the best for fl homeschooling mamas. I dont need free but im homeschooling 2 kids. Their curriculum is all paid for. Im not doing a full christian
curriculum (sotw, bible studies, bju science, and other presshill press) rest is secular.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Some prefer the umbrella schools, but not everyone does.  It is a matter of preference.   

Quoting kmath:

Why do you say the umbrella school is the best option?  Just wondering cause I hadn't heard that.

Quoting krysxo:

krysxo
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The FL homeschool groups Im in, perfer going it umbrella school style since you do not have to do the yearly evaluations/portfolios.  All you report is attendance and some of the schools do 2x a year on grades, and you get support and a "real" diploma? Not sure on the later one, as Im still researching this umbrella option. The ones I have heard the most of is: Florida Unschoolers (which is free) and home life academy ( I was told 150 for 2 of my girls) and they do payment plans.

Maridel
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Hmm... I read once when I was looking at them of one that was completely free, sponsored by a former homeschooler who wanted to give back. But I don't remember the name. sorry, try googling. 

I don't know of any others, we just do the option where we send notice of intent, keep a portfolio, and send in annual evaluations. I prefer that than having to keep attendance for an umbrella school.

Maridel
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

OH yea I think that was the one, Florida Unschoolers

Quoting krysxo:

The FL homeschool groups Im in, perfer going it umbrella school style since you do not have to do the yearly evaluations/portfolios.  All you report is attendance and some of the schools do 2x a year on grades, and you get support and a "real" diploma? Not sure on the later one, as Im still researching this umbrella option. The ones I have heard the most of is: Florida Unschoolers (which is free) and home life academy ( I was told 150 for 2 of my girls) and they do payment plans.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN