Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any moms from FL? suggestions on umbrella school?

Posted by   + Show Post
Price is my main concern. Just heard this umbrella option is the best for fl homeschooling mamas. I dont need free but im homeschooling 2 kids. Their curriculum is all paid for. Im not doing a full christian
curriculum (sotw, bible studies, bju science, and other presshill press) rest is secular.
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Ah, thanks.  The few people I have talked to in my area don't mind the evaluations and like not having to worry about attendance, so I was just wondering what the pros to it were. 

Quoting krysxo:

The FL homeschool groups Im in, perfer going it umbrella school style since you do not have to do the yearly evaluations/portfolios.  All you report is attendance and some of the schools do 2x a year on grades, and you get support and a "real" diploma? Not sure on the later one, as Im still researching this umbrella option. The ones I have heard the most of is: Florida Unschoolers (which is free) and home life academy ( I was told 150 for 2 of my girls) and they do payment plans.

krysxo
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

In FL, in the portfolio you must have a record of attendance so that does not bother me. As I would have to do it, regardless which option I choose. :)

Quoting kmath:

Ah, thanks.  The few people I have talked to in my area don't mind the evaluations and like not having to worry about attendance, so I was just wondering what the pros to it were. 

Quoting krysxo:

The FL homeschool groups Im in, perfer going it umbrella school style since you do not have to do the yearly evaluations/portfolios.  All you report is attendance and some of the schools do 2x a year on grades, and you get support and a "real" diploma? Not sure on the later one, as Im still researching this umbrella option. The ones I have heard the most of is: Florida Unschoolers (which is free) and home life academy ( I was told 150 for 2 of my girls) and they do payment plans.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Actually you don't.  There is no set attendance for Homeschooling in FL.  You don't have required hours or days.  Unless I am missing something, but I read the laws pretty carefully for our state.

Quoting krysxo:

In FL, in the portfolio you must have a record of attendance so that does not bother me. As I would have to do it, regardless which option I choose. :)

Quoting kmath:

Quoting krysxo:

tairakittie
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Thanks for this thread!! We are homeschooling in south FL and had heard about umbrella schooling, didnt know there was a cost (let alone one that could be so high), but I also didnt know there was a free program as well I can look into! Great information!

krysxo
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Home Education Requirements in the State of Florida - Regulations and Basic Operation

All children that are 6 years or older, or who will be 6 years old by February 1 st of the school year, are required to attend regular school until the age of 16 as a minimum requirement. There is a required attendance of 180 days of education for each school year, which can be achieved through teaching the equivalent hours of home education at your own discretion. While traditional school runs from August until May or June in most cases, you can teach your homeschooled children whenever you see fit, as long as you meet the mandated 180-day attendance requirement. You must maintain a portfolio of your home education program. This should include all lesson plans, reading materials, workbooks and other materials used during instruction. Also, you must keep a record of attendance and log the hours of education for each day, week, month, and year.

Quoting kmath:

Actually you don't.  There is no set attendance for Homeschooling in FL.  You don't have required hours or days.  Unless I am missing something, but I read the laws pretty carefully for our state.

Quoting krysxo:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting krysxo:

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

According to Statute 1002.41, home educators are not required to keep attendance or meet “the requirements of a school day as defined in statute 1002.01.” A county or state official cannot require you to keep or show attendance records.

This is what I found on it.  It is on the FPEA website. 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I do not know anything about umbrella option is the best for fl homeschooling mamas sorry.

http://www.jumpstart.com/

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

http://www.k12reader.com/

Maridel
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Where did you get this information? I believe kmath is right i have read the laws fairly careful myself and understood you do not have to keep attendance. I have never read what you posted

Quoting krysxo:

Home Education Requirements in the State of Florida - Regulations and Basic Operation

All children that are 6 years or older, or who will be 6 years old by
February 1 st of the school year, are required to attend regular school
until the age of 16 as a minimum requirement. There is a required
attendance of 180 days of education for each school year, which can be
achieved through teaching the equivalent hours of home education at your
own discretion. While traditional school runs from August until May or
June in most cases, you can teach your homeschooled children whenever
you see fit, as long as you meet the mandated 180-day attendance
requirement. You must maintain a portfolio of your home education
program. This should include all lesson plans, reading materials,
workbooks and other materials used during instruction. Also, you must
keep a record of attendance and log the hours of education for each day,
week, month, and year.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting krysxo:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting krysxo:

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Home-Education Program : Florida Statute 1002.41

Under this statute, parents who choose to teach and direct the education of their own children at home must notify their district school superintendent and meet all requirements of this law. The child must show educational progress each year. Students registered with the school district are, by law, home education students. The parent must keep a portfolio rather than records of instructional hours or days of attendance each year.  (From FPEA)

I'm in Florida as well and everywhere I look I cannot find where we have to document attendance or hours of instruction. I'm following this thread as well as I am starting my first year soon.

Edit: There is a thread labeled Homeschool laws and ALL of the laws for every state are listed.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this
We use Florida Unschoolers. But you don't have to unschool....we don't. It's free and we've been really happy with them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)