Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

music history?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this
I saw the Rolling Stones last night (squee*) and I realized: besides classical composers- I didn't learn ANYTHING about music history in school.

I will definitely include it at home!!

Thoughts?
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Seeing as Music is one of my sons loves, I will probably try to incorporate some Music History into his lessons.  I think it is a great thing to learn about.

xomrs.chase
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree! Music has had so much influence on culture. It can be mixed with sociology a bit too :)

Quoting kmath:

Seeing as Music is one of my sons loves, I will probably try to incorporate some Music History into his lessons.  I think it is a great thing to learn about.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  I probably won't do it as its own class but will add it when doing History or other lessons that it seems to tie in well with.  Using music to teach him will also be something I try, if I can figure it out.  He is just a huge music lover and I think learning about music history is a great way to broaden his education.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

I agree! Music has had so much influence on culture. It can be mixed with sociology a bit too :)

Quoting kmath:

PEEK05
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that is a great idea.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Music is an excellent way to help learn history because most musicians pull from what is going on around them to create their songs.

JayDee38
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I think this would lead to such fun lessons! You're so right when you say 

Music has had so much influence on culture. It can be mixed with sociology a bit too :)

I couldn't agree more. There's folk, blues, jazz, another thing that comes to mind would be the Beatles & the emergence of 'pop,' so much culture and history can be taught through music. Who knows you might even shape your kids' taste in music and open them up to more than what's currently on the radio.

xomrs.chase
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Classic, jazz/ swing/ big band, oldies- the beetles for sure. Punk (I'm a punk rocker at heart lol) and rock too!

I have been forming ideas around this.. like starting the lesson with "dress up" to set the mood. :D

Quoting JayDee38:

I think this would lead to such fun lessons! You're so right when you say 

Music has had so much influence on culture. It can be mixed with sociology a bit too :)

I couldn't agree more. There's folk, blues, jazz, another thing that comes to mind would be the Beatles & the emergence of 'pop,' so much culture and history can be taught through music. Who knows you might even shape your kids' taste in music and open them up to more than what's currently on the radio.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN