Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Different homeschooling methods

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM
  • 12 Replies
What are the different homeschooling methods. I have heard so many different names but never really a description of each. What works or doesn't work for you?

P.s. if you know of a website that explains the different methods that would be appreciated too (if that's allowed in here)
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is one website that lists some of the different methods.  Others might have sites they like better. 

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/methods/Homeschool_Methods_Finding_a_Method_thats_Right_for_You.htm

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

let's see- classical- which is like learning Latin and memorization etc.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Unschooling- this is a little harder to define but it's premise is to allow the child the freedom to learn what they want and to trust their natural curiosity

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Charlotte Mason- which is based on using living books and has an emphasis on letting kids do everything they can themselves. It also stresses outside time and Art.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

eclectic- which is using whatever method works for each subject

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Looks like the other Mom's have got you covered on all the different methods of homeschooling. Do you have any specific questions about any of them? All of us do things a little different from the others & just about every method is used by at least one Mom in here.

MABmommy
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I may have more questions I will be sure to let you ladies know. I think I will be busy reading the links provided for a while. Thanks! 😃

Quoting usmom3:

Looks like the other Mom's have got you covered on all the different methods of homeschooling. Do you have any specific questions about any of them? All of us do things a little different from the others & just about every method is used by at least one Mom in here.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM

What works for us is to take bits and pieces from each method and squish them all together. My kids like workbooks and hands on for math, read alouds and unit study for history, classical for Language Arts, and textbook, hands on, and unschooling for science. It makes buying curriculum a nightmare lol. But it also means we never get bored and can cross "grade levels" as necessary. It allows me to follow their interests and stick to a scope and sequence at the same time. Reading back over this makes me realize how ADD our school looks Lol. I get that this won't work for everybody.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I put together a free web page that explains the different methods, and gives resources. 

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)