Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did you break the news?

Posted by   + Show Post

You all have been so great with answering all my questions and indulging me as I research and try to come to a decision, that I thought I would call on you once again.

When you made the decision to homeschool, how did you break it to your friends and family? What did you say? How did they take it?

I know other peoples opinions shouldnt matter, but I just want to be prepared for any eventuality.

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I didn't "break the news", people just find out as it comes up. I've known I would homeschool since before dd was born, though, so perhaps that makes it different. We never pulled her out and it came up amongst close family long before it mattered, giving them time to get used to the idea. She only just turned 5 and no one who knows her would question us now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabelle125
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I just flat out told my parents.  They already know my stance on dissenting opinions regarding my parenting (you got to raise yours, I get to raise mine), so I didn't get push back.  Although I do get some passive agressive comments from my mom , I just ignore them, like I have been all my life :)

Anyone else found out when the found out, over the course of a conversation.  Many people did/do have questions, mostly about the laws or just how things work.  I am more than happy to explain it to them.  Sometimes people just need to be educated.

We cut my MIL off years ago, so no worries about her :)

Anne

Homeschooling DD, age 8

DS, age 11 6th grade public schooler-- homeschooled for 4th grade 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine was traumatic so no one questioned me. I posted it on Facebook and yeah I got a lot of comments but honestly I ignored most. I finally reposted that I was going to follow my instincts and those who loved me would support me and those who didn't support me could stay away until they realized I was a grown woman and the kids mom and that was it. No more comments were made.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
My parents asked all the normal questions when I told them and then said, "okay". They didn't have an issue with it.

I didn't tell my inlaws until they asked me if my oldest was excited to start school, and I said, "yes, he's loving school. We spend about 30-45 min a day on his school". They were ver against it for almost two years. Now they like to tell everyone that their grandchildren are so smart because they are homeschooled.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
This. I talked about it for a while before actually making the leap.

Quoting mhaney03:

Honestly, I didn't bother telling anyone who wouldn't be directly affected by it.  My kids and their dad knew and that was about it.  Others found out in the course of life....

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I didn't tell everyone at once. My parents knew the process I was going through so it was just a matter of telling them I was approved. I told my sister, don't say anything negative, but I am going to homeschool Destinay. She did what she always does, talk negatively about it. Then I got mean with her, and she stopped. Everyone else I told didn't say anything negative and said that it was good.
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We never told anyone before we started, didn't even enter our minds to. Then after if anyone said anything we just stated that we were doing what we knew was best.

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I actually called my BFF when I needed to talk about the decision that we were getting ready to make.  We were taking on the respsonsibility of a new child (one that was being placed in our care) as well as HS her due to traumatic incidents that occured in her short little life.  She was totally on bored and was willing to give me any emotional support that I needed.  My mom and dad were against it at the befginning and within 10 weeks they were completely on bored.  I just couldn't bear the thought of spending that kind of money on 2 kids for private school.  Everyone that knew us already knew that my kids would go to PS over my dead body.  The rest of my family still isn't completely on bored, but realize we are doing what we feel is best for our family.

oredeb
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM

hi football, i didnt say anything just did it! evenually people found out on their own.

my parents were for anything i did, and most of my friends were just starting to homeschool also, ive never had a negative word about homeschooling from anyone at least not to my face. but nowdays theres nothing anyone can say since they've seen how well hsing was for us!

RheaF
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I just told them we were homeschooling. My MIL wrote me a check for private school,lol. I told her i would gladly accept it, and use it for homeschooling stuff. We had another friend go on rant on my Facebook page about how he "knew a homeschooler....". I rolled my eyes, deleted the rant, and ignored them. We got slammed for homeschooling for about a year. Until I eventualy got tired of it and made it very clear that this is what we feel is best for our family, and if someone does not agree that's fine. Just keep your negative opinions to yourself. If they couldn't manage to do that(if they felt the need to constantly tell me how wrong they feel it is), then we would have no choice but to cut ties with them.

That was four years ago. My MIL has since come to love homeschooling,lol. We still have friends who disagree with it, but they no longer voice their opinions to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN