Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

WAY OT! What kind of.............

Posted by   + Show Post

Feminine product do you use? I am shopping for cloth pads (but am open to hearing about diva cups & sea sponges too) because the more I read of the damage the disposables do to our bodies the more I don't want them to touch mine or my daughters(when she starts her period that is) bodies. I don't know anyone personally that uses anything different so I come to all of you wise & open minded women that I respect to see what you might know on the subject.

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting tuffymama:

I've heard great things about Mama Cloth, and I have a few friends who use it. I know a few who have used Diva Cup but only one of them has stuck with it. I use Kotex disposable pads because I have procrastinated ordering Mama Cloth forever. There are free patterns online for making your own and I've downloaded a couple but I've put that off, too. :/

Yeah I have been on the fence for a while about switching but the more I learn the more I want to switch away from the ones I have been using most of my adult life.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I use Mother of Eden for my heavy days (because my heavy days are very, very heavy!!) but I don't know if they are still in business or not.  I bought them when I bought my Fuzzy bunz diapers for my boys (8 years ago) I use a local lady's products for my lighter days.

I think I have seen that name around, I will keep it in mind as I do compareson shopping.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quoting mem82:

Lol I can not stand the thought of having to deal with that kind of laundry. I admit I prefer tossing that stuff in the trash. I am a little too private about things like that, though. Half the time hubby doesn't even know unless he tries to make a moooovvveee. Lol

My hubby is like "I don't want to see it or smell it or anything" like I am going to make him deal with it just because I change what I use even though he has no clue half the time that it is that time.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Quoting annabelle125:

I use the diva cup and really like it.  I have some samples of the soft cup- which is basically a disposable diva cup.  I haven't tried those yet.  

I have been thinking about cloth pads too--for the heavier days. I just can't decide if I want to do it...

Yeah I like the idea of the diva cup but not the upfront cost so I thought I would try the soft cups first & see if I even like using something like that.

FootballFan12
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I recently started using the soft cup and love it. I honestly don't know what took me so long to try it. You insert it and just let it be. You cannot feel a thing. My monthlies are very heavy so I like the security of the soft cup. I will be honest and say that on my two heaviest days, I will wear a thin little panty liner too, just in case I cannot get to the bathroom quick enough if we are out and about. It also took me a few tries to not make a mess when removing. But once you have it down, it is a piece of cake.

I usually go through a box of them (14) the same as I would a box of tampons in a cycle so the cost is pretty much the same.

AJ-47
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I use regular ol' tampons, panty liners and occasionally pads (even though I hate them; they feel so nasty).
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting FootballFan12:

I recently started using the soft cup and love it. I honestly don't know what took me so long to try it. You insert it and just let it be. You cannot feel a thing. My monthlies are very heavy so I like the security of the soft cup. I will be honest and say that on my two heaviest days, I will wear a thin little panty liner too, just in case I cannot get to the bathroom quick enough if we are out and about. It also took me a few tries to not make a mess when removing. But once you have it down, it is a piece of cake.

I usually go through a box of them (14) the same as I would a box of tampons in a cycle so the cost is pretty much the same.

Saving money would be a nice side effect of this change but what really has me wanting to switch is all the + stuff I have read about using things that don't have chemicals & other harsh materials in them.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Quoting AJ-47:

I use regular ol' tampons, panty liners and occasionally pads (even though I hate them; they feel so nasty).

For the longest time I didn't even question what was in the disposable stuff I just used it. I started reading about how it can make periods heavier & cramps more painful & how tampons absorb the natural fluid that is supposed to line our interiors & how that is harmful to the health & well being of our lady parts. So I really want to get away from them but needed to know from others that use the alternative because I like to be informed before hand when making a change like this.

AJ-47
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Huh. I've always been super healthy down there, and before I got this IUD, I never had a problem with heavier periods or cramps. But good luck to you on switching! I had a friend that used some cup things but I'd be too scared to have an accident with them or something.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting AJ-47:

For the longest time I didn't even question what was in the disposable stuff I just used it. I started reading about how it can make periods heavier & cramps more painful & how tampons absorb the natural fluid that is supposed to line our interiors & how that is harmful to the health & well being of our lady parts. So I really want to get away from them but needed to know from others that use the alternative because I like to be informed before hand when making a change like this.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Thanks! I figured it won't hurt to try it!

Quoting AJ-47:

Huh. I've always been super healthy down there, and before I got this IUD, I never had a problem with heavier periods or cramps. But good luck to you on switching! I had a friend that used some cup things but I'd be too scared to have an accident with them or something.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting AJ-47:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN