Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would like to try doing some yoga with my kids.  I think it would be beneficial for both my kids, but especially my son who has autism.  Do you yourself do yoga or do yoga with your kids?  What books, websites, apps, or other resources have you found helpful?

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (11-18):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I use the same videos as Celticdragon77.  It has helped to calm my youngest (at times).  There is also a storytelling yoga for kids video set on youtube: 

BookGirl419
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
We found a lot of books at the library, ours has kids yoga books.
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Convictions vary. How do you know whether I do those things or not? Many Christians don't do the Easter Bunny and eggs. Even more don't do "treat or treating". A Christmas tree may have pagan roots (LOL) but it doesn't invoke any spirituality in itself. Yoga is much, much different than any of those.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I agree that some people may find that yoga activities conflict with their personal convictions.

I personally do not use yoga as a spiritual activity - nor do my kids. In fact, the activities in the kids yoga videos that I have, are only loosely influenced by yoga.

Yoga does what nothing else seems to do, for kids. I am able to not only calm and relax the kids, get built up energy out, or stir up creative energy and wake up their minds... but I am ALSO able to have the kids be conscious of their mind and bodies in relation to one another - working in correlation to one another. I don't know if I was able to word that well or not.

To be honest, if you have this conviction about yoga, then you should probably have one even more so about some of the following; putting up a Christmas tree in December, coloring eggs for Easter, trick or treating, etc.

Quoting lucsch:

No, but I have a little book about Yoga with Kids I'll send to you.  It shows kids demonstrating it and explains how to do the different positions. PM me if you want it.

Once I read about the spiritual aspect of Yoga, I gave it up.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Read here for information.

Quoting Donna.June:

What do you mean about the spirtual aspect of yoga?

Op, I'm also thinking of getting my kids to do yoga or something. I'm going to look into Youtube and Netflix.

Quoting lucsch:

No, but I have a little book about Yoga with Kids I'll send to you.  It shows kids demonstrating it and explains how to do the different positions. PM me if you want it.

wowguildmomma
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I also have been looking for some yoga for kids stuff. 

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I meant that very generally and as an after thought. I didn't mean it to you specifically and I didn't mean for it to meant offensively. I apologize if it came off that way. You are right about convictions varying. I personally do not celebrate Easter, Halloween, or Christmas the typical ways. I also do not use yoga as for its original purposes. To each their own. 

Quoting lucsch:

Convictions vary. How do you know whether I do those things or not? Many Christians don't do the Easter Bunny and eggs. Even more don't do "treat or treating". A Christmas tree may have pagan roots (LOL) but it doesn't invoke any spirituality in itself. Yoga is much, much different than any of those.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I agree that some people may find that yoga activities conflict with their personal convictions.

I personally do not use yoga as a spiritual activity - nor do my kids. In fact, the activities in the kids yoga videos that I have, are only loosely influenced by yoga.

Yoga does what nothing else seems to do, for kids. I am able to not only calm and relax the kids, get built up energy out, or stir up creative energy and wake up their minds... but I am ALSO able to have the kids be conscious of their mind and bodies in relation to one another - working in correlation to one another. I don't know if I was able to word that well or not.

To be honest, if you have this conviction about yoga, then you should probably have one even more so about some of the following; putting up a Christmas tree in December, coloring eggs for Easter, trick or treating, etc.

Quoting lucsch:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

We use the Wii to do yoga!

arwalters
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM
We found a DVD at target that's yoga for kids & ds loves it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)