Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

overwhelmed

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
my oldest dd just turned 5. I am determined to homeschool. but not sure how to even get started. I am feeling like a failure already.I used to do more with her. but after 2 more kids I just got out of the habit. I have friends who did home school but decided to put them in public school. That doesn't help my confidence. We don't have a bunch of money to spend on curriculum. I am horrible with keeping a schedule. I also have my own business. I guess overall I am overwhelmed with life in general.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok first you need to slow down and take a deep breathe and yeah I mean it. You seem to be overwhelmed with life in general.

You can do this. You can do it all. I promise.

Now you do not need to invest a ton into a curriculum. I use my local public library for most of my things I need. I highly suggest taking the time to visit local libraries in your area. Look at if they have a good childrens section, their media, programs for the kids, their loan policies, if they have kits for education, teachers resources available, and any passes to borrow for parks and museums and such.

Then you can look online for many things for your daughter to do through websites and print outs. I know I have seen a lot of posts about people using online websites for teaching but I don't know the names of them.

Now teaching a 5 year old does not take a lot. Heck teaching a 15 year old doesn't even take a lot. The kids in public school go for a longer amount of time because there is so much time wasted switching classes, settling kids down, helping others who can't keep up, disciplining, and things like assembly and such. You won't go through that much of that. This is you and her one on one and will go very quickly once you find her rhythum.

Many parents get discouraged because they hit bumps and make mistakes. They think they failed and quit homeschooling because of these mistakes. They haven't though. Mistakes can be fixed and they need to be learned from. If something doesn't work for your family then get rid of it and try something else. This is why I use library books so often. I can just return what doesn't work. I can get books for one kid and more videos for another. Just because you hit a bump does not mean you failed. It means that this isn't working and you need to change to something else.

The best thing you can do is ask tons of questions and get lots of advice. Oh and look into finding local homeschooling groups around you. My group has a lending library in the church we meet at. I can borrow actual curriculum like ABeka and such for the whole year completely free. They even have musical instruments.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM

That sounds overwhelming to even read.

3 kids under the age 5yrs, is a lot to juggle just right there. Then you add in a house to take care of, being a cook, taking care of bills / worrying about financial matters, errands, taking care of yourself, not just working at a job - but owning your own business. Of course you are not good at a schedule and feel overwhelmed!! 

You have to take some time to chill - gather some inner fortitude, and come up with a solid but simple plan. I would START by decluttering, simplifying, organizing, downsizing... as much as possible. Spend a weekend getting the house all caught up and clean. Post schedules, chores, checklists, menus in the house or in a binder. I carry a notebook around where I list things that I need to do, get, notes to myself, etc. I cross things off and add things as they cross my mind. I can better organize the the information later on. But it is a handy reference for me - otherwise I get scattered brained. 

As for homeschooling, start out simple and do small activities throughout the day. 5yrs and below, they have short attention spans anyways. Keep it short and simple. Hands on learning. There are FANTASTIC homemade Montessori activities on Youtube. Have them build their pinching skills, play phonic sounds, have them build with blocks, help measure things, let them ask lots of questions...

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

Brandy85412
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM
and we have been house hunting. I need to organize so bad but we will be moving in a couple months hopefully so I am thinking i am just going to go through things when I pack cause I can't get the motivation to do it now.
there is so much to do i just shut down. one thing at a time I guess.

Quoting celticdragon77:

3 kids under the age 5yrs, is a lot to juggle just right there. Then you add in a house to take care of, being a cook, taking care of bills / worrying about financial matters, errands, taking care of yourself, not just working at a job - but owning your own business. Of course you are not good at a schedule and feel overwhelmed!! 

You have to take some time to chill - gather some inner fortitude, and come up with a solid but simple plan. I would START by decluttering, simplifying, organizing, downsizing... as much as possible. Spend a weekend getting the house all caught up and clean. Post schedules, chores, checklists, menus in the house or in a binder. I carry a notebook around where I list things that I need to do, get, notes to myself, etc. I cross things off and add things as they cross my mind. I can better organize the the information later on. But it is a handy reference for me - otherwise I get scattered brained. 

As for homeschooling, start out simple and do small activities throughout the day. 5yrs and below, they have short attention spans anyways. Keep it short and simple. Hands on learning. There are FANTASTIC homemade Montessori activities on Youtube. Have them build their pinching skills, play phonic sounds, have them build with blocks, help measure things, let them ask lots of questions...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I can really relate to your situation. I will never forget how I felt when we decided to move when the kids were young (8, 2 and a new baby). That was insane! - and that was with only working pt (but my husband worked 80hr weeks) and NOT homeschooling. 

Quoting Brandy85412:

and we have been house hunting. I need to organize so bad but we will be moving in a couple months hopefully so I am thinking i am just going to go through things when I pack cause I can't get the motivation to do it now.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Packing is actually a great time to downsize and organize.  You will be going through everything in your house anyway, so toss stuff you don't need and label all the boxes so you know what goes where when you get to the new house. 

Quoting Brandy85412:

Quoting celticdragon77:

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not know about you, but I use to be very organized  neat and tidy, like my mom.  That was until I attended a workshop that deeply touched my life .  The workshop leader began by stating that people don't like to think about death. But for this activity bear with him, because it was important.

He asked us to close our eyes, and  picture ourselves at our funeral.  He said, "what do you want to be remembered for.  I bet it is not a clean house, or how much money you make."  He said, "think about what you want to be remembered for, and, from this day forward,  live your life like that."  From that day forward, being organized, neat and tidy was not so important.  

If homeschooling is important to you and your family, following are some things to help and motivate:

How To Home School

PEEK05
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Our families are similar.  I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a 4 month old.  I would just stay focused and positive.  We are starting this year and I am SUPER excited!

oahoah
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Well this may not help but I am going into our 3rd year of homeschool and still feel constantly overwhelmed. Granted, I don't have your life situation (moving, home-business). It's perfectly normal to feel like that.  I would urge you to write your reasons for wanting to homeschool before you get started and look back at this when you have those discouraging times. Also, depending on your state, you may not have to officially start until your daughter is older.  One book that has helped me greatly is "The 3 R's" by Ruth Beechick. She has a lot of common-sense and simple, easy, inexpensive ways for learning in the early years.  Try to find a support group of like-minded moms. That is definitely what has helped me make it to the point I am at now.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Remember that this doesn't last forever. (This too shall pass)  I was in a similar boat just a couple years ago.  My boys are now 4, 6, & 8.  There were some tough times, but we got through them.  Many states don't make you really start until the kids are a bit older (here in PA it's 7).  I hate keeping a schedule and so do my boys.  We've just learned to deal with a little scheduling and we improvise the rest. 

Why does someone else's desicion to put their kids in PS hurt your confidence?  This is how we attacked the idea of homeschooling: 
We're going to try this homeschooling thing this year. If we find it deosn't work for us, then we can always put them in ps next year.  We will not harm them too badly in a single year. 
That was what we said 2 years ago with our oldest.  We have watched him blossom and would never send him back.  However we still tell everyone that we are taking it one year at a time.  So just take it one year at a time.  Or if it's still overwhelming, take it one semester at a time and re-evaluate at Christmas.  Or if it's still overwhelming just take it one week at a time.  That way you only schedule yourself week-by-week.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The other Moms are giving great advice so I just want to say "You can do this, all of us in this group do our best to help each other & we will help you too if you want us too".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN