Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS wants to learn about Greek mythology this summer.  He's 6 y/o.  Any suggestions? 

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Replies (11-18):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
3 moms liked this

After you have familiarized him with the Greek Gods you could read the Percy Jackson books & other books that have the Greek Gods in them for fun reading.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I found this for you to check out if you have time http://greece.mrdonn.org/greekgods/ it's children's version. Let me know if she likes it. 

Quoting mamavalor:

I think so too but he wants to learn so it's no harm in getting him started.  I'm sure he's not going to get too far but we will see.  He has two older sisters who are more than willing to lessen the confusion and straighten out the stories if he gets confused. 

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Too young in my opinion.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Wait until he is older if you have another religion. It could confuse him, at his age.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are many books that cover this subject. Older kids can find it (too) fascinating IMO. I never studied them until high school.

Here are some ideas (on amazon). I searched for Greek myths and selected his age group.

mamavalor
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Thank you!  He hears his sisters talking about it so of course he wants to know, too.  I never found Greek mythology fascinating so I never learned all the stories.  But for some reason my kids seem to drawn into that fantasy world.

Quoting lucsch:

Wait until he is older if you have another religion. It could confuse him, at his age.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are many books that cover this subject. Older kids can find it (too) fascinating IMO. I never studied them until high school.

Here are some ideas (on amazon). I searched for Greek myths and selected his age group.

mamavalor
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for the link.  I will check it out.  :)

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I found this for you to check out if you have time http://greece.mrdonn.org/greekgods/ it's children's version. Let me know if she likes it. 

Quoting mamavalor:

I think so too but he wants to learn so it's no harm in getting him started.  I'm sure he's not going to get too far but we will see.  He has two older sisters who are more than willing to lessen the confusion and straighten out the stories if he gets confused. 

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Too young in my opinion.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I say go for it!
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My 9yr old daughter and I were looking at something which led to questions related to mythology. We looked up the person (image and brief info). This led us on a trail. When we looked up that person, we heard about two other people, which caused us to look them up, which led us to more people, etc. I ended up printing out images and brief descriptions. I put all the info together in a booklet that we made. It is a brief introduction that satisfied enough of our curiosity for that moment. We can always revisit it in more depth. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

mamavalor
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I like this idea.  I may borrow it.  Thanks. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

My 9yr old daughter and I were looking at something which led to questions related to mythology. We looked up the person (image and brief info). This led us on a trail. When we looked up that person, we heard about two other people, which caused us to look them up, which led us to more people, etc. I ended up printing out images and brief descriptions. I put all the info together in a booklet that we made. It is a brief introduction that satisfied enough of our curiosity for that moment. We can always revisit it in more depth. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)