Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

PA Homeschoolers, is anyone a certified teacher? I have a question...

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

DD is only two but I have been starting with trying to figure out how to homeschool and what to do and I was reading some of the guidelines and one of the homeschooling options is  "Private Tutor". It said the person had to be certified to teach in PA, and I am but it has expired. When I homeschool my DD can I still be considered a private tutor or is that not possible unless I get current certificates? I have two degrees in teaching and I was just wondering how that all factors into what type of homeschooling I will be considered. I am SO new at this, I am just getting started so maybe this is a stupid question but it was something that occurred to me the other day so I figured I'd just ask. Thanks!!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You cannot be a Private Tutor unless you have a current certificate. 

JTE11
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Thank you!   I guess my next question is how to get a current certificate but I'll have to Google that. Thanks!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Why do you want to private tutor instead of homeschool?  Is there an advantage?

Quoting JTE11:

Thank you!   I guess my next question is how to get a current certificate but I'll have to Google that. Thanks!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JTE11
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I don't actually know for sure if there is an advantage. PA is weird and strict in who it allows to be regular  teachers so I was trying to find out if I went into it as a private tutor if there would be less oversight.  If you're "just" (from the state's point of view) a mom teaching her own kids there seems to be a lot of checking up on the homeschooling mom. Like I said I only just started reading things the other day. I still have a lot to learn, so I'm just poking around trying to get some kind of direction. And since I'm a teacher I thought it might be better if I went into it being a teacher instead of a mom, from the state's perspective.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

PA is a pain, no doubt.  If you find any advantages please let me know.  I may go get re-certified myself!  LOL  When I found I needed to be current on my certification I just didn't look any further into that option.

Quoting JTE11:

I don't actually know for sure if there is an advantage. PA is weird and strict in who it allows to be regular  teachers so I was trying to find out if I went into it as a private tutor if there would be less oversight.  If you're "just" (from the state's point of view) a mom teaching her own kids there seems to be a lot of checking up on the homeschooling mom. Like I said I only just started reading things the other day. I still have a lot to learn, so I'm just poking around trying to get some kind of direction. And since I'm a teacher I thought it might be better if I went into it being a teacher instead of a mom, from the state's perspective.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JTE11
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

If I find anything out I'll let you know! :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

PA is a pain, no doubt.  If you find any advantages please let me know.  I may go get re-certified myself!  LOL  When I found I needed to be current on my certification I just didn't look any further into that option.

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I didn't know a teachers certification could expire. That seems odd. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

JTE11
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yes, when I graduated from school I got temporary certificates that were good for three years. In that time I had to get a full-time teaching job (not just subbing) but I couldn't so they expired after the initial three years. I have two teaching degrees but expired certificates so I couldn't get a job as a teacher now unless I got current certificates.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The first paragraph of the law states: 

"For the purposes of this section, "properly qualified private tutor" shall mean a person who is certified by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to teach in the public schools of Pennsylvania; who is teaching one or more children who are members of a single family; who provides the majority of the instruction to such child or children; and who is receiving a fee or other consideration for such instructional services. No person who would be disqualified from school employment by the provisions of subsection (e) of section 111 may be a private tutor, as provided for in this section. The private tutor may file a copy of his Pennsylvania certification and the required criminal history record with the student's district of residence superintendent." http://www.pahomeschoolers.com/act169.html

Would the big bold printed part not disqualify you?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Almost every state has passed those laws at this point.  Teachers are required to continue their education.  Each state is different, but PA requires 24 credits during the first 6 years, then you apply to recertify at level 2.  I'm not sure of the requirements at level 2 as I taught in Virginia, so I haven't even begun my 6 years of service.  I'm also not sure if my certification is considered lapsed or not.  I feel I would need to take a few credits before I could teach in a PS, but I'm not sure legally what the state believes.  LOL  That was probably TMI.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)