Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confessions of a Homeschooling mom...

Posted by   + Show Post
Okay. I confess. There is something about homeschooling that I really hate......I hate when the excitement gets dimmed. Reason being, that I am not doing my job. Then I have to go on a mad self exanimation binge to see where it is that I am lagging in. How about? Do you ha s any confession(s)?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
KLove_Mom
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

You know what though... I had teachers in public/private school do that too. Or substitues. :S

Maybe you could even have days where the kids play the teacher and see what they come up with.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Some days I just make everything we do up on the fly!  I'll get behind on my lesson planning and just grab some little science experiments to do and a book to read and make up activities as we go along.

-Kara
"Look for Rainbows"
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Quoting Boobah:

I took several months off when I was pregnant. And I don't feel guilty about it. :)

You shouldn't feel guilty either!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Quoting lucsch:

School sometimes starts 2 hours before I wake up. I can't help it if my dd gets up and dives right in. Yep, it is an activity called independent work. LOL

lol ... Awesome!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Subs are notorious for just pulling out junk and doing it!

I often have the kids teach me about books they read.  That's always enlightening!  LOL 

Quoting KLove_Mom:

You know what though... I had teachers in public/private school do that too. Or substitues. :S

Maybe you could even have days where the kids play the teacher and see what they come up with.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Some days I just make everything we do up on the fly!  I'll get behind on my lesson planning and just grab some little science experiments to do and a book to read and make up activities as we go along.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Quoting tuffymama:

I confess that I am tapped out of creative ways to convince, con, and cajole my little nugget into doing his speech, so even though it is such an enormous part of why I am doing this whole thing to begin with, we may leave off for a while to get some distance between him and the frustration.

Understand fully! Been there done that with a few of my kids.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It was not on purpose. I hate naps. They mess up my sleep patterns. I fell sleep while cuddling with my boys while watching the history/discovery channel.

Quoting sdgd21:

I am too. I hate it.

Quoting shamrock_momma:

I'm guilty of being competitive. I get so mad when people start comparing their PS kids to mine, and I fight the urge to make comments like, "yeah, well at least my kid isn't a 'socialized' brat!"

MacMamaof5
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Me, three.  I do this when I was too exhausted to plan for the upcoming week...or need to catch up with housework. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Lol... I must confess. I do that too, on occasion.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

This year we have had days where we do nothing. This is the first full year home schooling coming out of PS so I think that they needed this time. We focused mainly on math and reading. This coming year we will be a little more structured I think.

Pumamama
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a great thread. I was just going over pros and cons with my husband about starting homeschool in the Fall. But simply having time is so important, and you can make a discussion about starting late because of exhaustion or illness, why the body/mind need to recover. OOOOOOOh but I am still nervous.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Quoting 101stwife:

This year we have had days where we do nothing. This is the first full year home schooling coming out of PS so I think that they needed this time. We focused mainly on math and reading. This coming year we will be a little more structured I think.

One of the most important things that show Homeschoolinin such a great way is the fact the we allow our kids to learn to enjoy learning for the sake of learning and not because it is being shoved down our kids throats. So' what you have been doing is just the thing that will help youkeep things moreinteresting in the short and long run. Welcome to the wonderful adventures of homeschooling. :)

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)