Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First day of HS

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 7 Replies
What should it be like? How should I start it? I feel like time is counting down and I still am not sure how I should start? Present material, etc. I have two I will be teaching. K and 1st. How do I teach two different grades? Lose doesn't even cover it.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Teaching two kids that are close in age is actually easier than you would think at first. You can combine so many subjects for both kids to learn together: science, history, art, foreign language, music, etc. You will have to work on math and writing on different terms but that isn't so bad. I honestly don't know how to start with a K or 1st grade because we homeschool from birth and don't use grade standards. But I know many moms will pipe in with their experiences.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom.  You can easily include a lesson  for all the children in many normal daily activities (or games...board games are excellent), and assign the children different parts of the activity  according to their abilities.  The following article will give you some ideas:

Whole Brain Teaching physically involves the children in the learning process. 

P.S. I taught both of my daughters, who were 3 years apart using this method.  I have tutored  as many as 6 children (1 K student, 1st grader,  2nd grader , & 3 6th graders) at the same time using this method.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I can't speak from experience with two or that age, but I build LO's learning around themes. He's four now with ASD so we started a lot earlier than most folks do, because he needed speech, OT, and a schedule to condition him to accept all the therapy he needs. Our first theme was apples because he was crazy about them then and I just built what I could into it. His manipulatives were large, apple shaped beads, he laced an apple shaped card, we made apple sauce, we looked at the parts of an apple, we read a Johnny Appleseed book, and we visited my dad's apple trees. I was able to combine textures, physical activity, fine motor skills, early letter recognition, and all kinds of things in there, and I am sure I could have added on for an older child. The themes (or units) can be more complex than apples, and can be historical figures, space, feelings, a language, art, plants, etc.

This homeschooling thing was really intimidating to me for a while, even well after I started, and it was complicated by the therapy my LO needs. Using a theme and building our activities into it makes it easier for me, like building an outline for writing, or looking at a map to plot a route. I know I need fine motor, speech, PE, OT, math, and pre-reading, which are mostly non-negotiable because of his ASD, plus breaks for him to lead his learning in our plan, so I shape my parts to fit the theme and let him take off from there. Do I think I will always use this format? Nope. It's already been challenged and he has restructured the plan to suit him to a degree. But I do think I can use it for the next few years, at least, and it is effectively meeting OUR needs as a homeschooling family while putting him well ahead of his previously projected arc. I know this format is nothing new and works quite well for kids without special needs.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Well, I think to start the day with a routine is the best way to go. Start with some sort of morning meeting to help them get in the learning frame of mind.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Relax! :) just have fun. Decide if you want school at home or move of a living education. Then go from there. When we had school at home we had circle time to start the day, then alternated subjects with free play, snacks, lunch, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I have 3 (4, 6, and 8).  We start with a routine.  We talk about the day, date, weather, season, etc.  We say them in English and Spanish.  We say the Pledge, Our Father, and sing the Doxology.  Then we split up for individual lessons.

You'll figure out what works best.  Just try something.  You can always switch it around the next day if it doesn't suit you!

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

You have some great suggestions so I will just add to make sure it is fun & engaging no matter what you decide to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)