Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me I'm not the only one....

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 21 Replies

Forgive me for jumping into your group to post about this as a non-regular poster.  But I need some support!!

Sometimes...a lot of times....I wish I could just send my kids to school.   It would be SO.MUCH.EASIER.   I'm not second guessing our decision to home school and I am 100% committed to it. But it is harder than I thought it would be.  My kids are only almost 5, 3 and 1 but the resistance I am getting from my almost 5 year old is already enough to make me wish she could go to school.  I know we have to work out the kinks and get used to the teacher/student relationship.  I am hoping it gets better with time!!  

Please tell me it gets easier.  Or at least that its not going to get harder....as we add 3 or 4 more kids into it, lol, aaaaaaaaaaaah!!    Any and all tips and ideas are welcome as we delve deeper into this sometimes omonous adventure! 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM

You're not the only one.   For me, the older they get, the easier it is.  Also, finding a good groove and routine has made a world of a difference.  Good luck!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we all have days (or weeks) like that.

When I'm in the throes of "I'll just dump you off on the public school!" - I take some time off. Off from school, from schedules, from obligations. Try to re-kindle the joy of being with your children. "Learning" can happen in many ways, so taking a week off to just veg out, read some good books, go on walks, go on a field trip - heck, even take a  NAP once in awhile - can make everyone feel better.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

You are not the only one. I agree with both moms, Pukalani79 and hipmomto3. You just need a break.

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
No, you're definitely not the only one!

I have to add, though, that almost five is awfully young to be doing any formal teaching. At that age, they learn mostly through play, and will naturally rebel against being made to sit still and listen.

My advice is to go to thrift stores and flea markets together. Pick out any books and toys (or safe tools, dress-up stuff, baskets, etc.) she finds interesting. Give them to her, and sit back and watch how she plays with them.

Talk to her about what she's doing, ask her to tell you about it, or just observe. You'll be surprised at how much both of you will learn!
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
When I feel that way we usually take a few days off. That has always helped me.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
We have been there! Is there one thing that sets your 5yo off? Math or handwriting? Try to switch it up a bit and see if that helps. 8)
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Remember if they were in ps there would still be a fight over something. Getting up or going to bed or doing homework. Kids are kids no matter how they are taught.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I occasionally (okay, often) dream of sending them to school. I mean, how awesome would SIX HOURS A DAY of only having one child at home be? But then I remember how much the school screwed up and scarred my oldest daughter and why we started homeschooling to begin with md I'm good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Also, things have been so much better since I switched how we do things. We are more Waldorf inspired now and my kids love it, and so do I.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM
It does. Our first year was very hard and I wanted to quit so bad. Dd was 5 also. We tried again for first grade and it went so much better. Don't get me wrong you'll still have those days, but not as many.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)