Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please tell me I'm not the only one....

Posted by   + Show Post

Forgive me for jumping into your group to post about this as a non-regular poster.  But I need some support!!

Sometimes...a lot of times....I wish I could just send my kids to school.   It would be SO.MUCH.EASIER.   I'm not second guessing our decision to home school and I am 100% committed to it. But it is harder than I thought it would be.  My kids are only almost 5, 3 and 1 but the resistance I am getting from my almost 5 year old is already enough to make me wish she could go to school.  I know we have to work out the kinks and get used to the teacher/student relationship.  I am hoping it gets better with time!!  

Please tell me it gets easier.  Or at least that its not going to get harder....as we add 3 or 4 more kids into it, lol, aaaaaaaaaaaah!!    Any and all tips and ideas are welcome as we delve deeper into this sometimes omonous adventure! 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
lucsch
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM

It does get easier. She needs to adjust to mom being teacher. Start small and increase schooltime gradually. Don't try to do it all, all at once.  Learning happens almost so slowly that you don't necessarily see success each day.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I second all of this!

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

No, you're definitely not the only one!

I have to add, though, that almost five is awfully young to be doing any formal teaching. At that age, they learn mostly through play, and will naturally rebel against being made to sit still and listen.

My advice is to go to thrift stores and flea markets together. Pick out any books and toys (or safe tools, dress-up stuff, baskets, etc.) she finds interesting. Give them to her, and sit back and watch how she plays with them.

Talk to her about what she's doing, ask her to tell you about it, or just observe. You'll be surprised at how much both of you will learn!

Momto8kidsyay
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Those are some young kids. RELAX!! You don't need to be doing much formal schooling at that age. Just do fun learning activities. My guess is you're trying to create public school at home and that's not necessary or helpful. I've been schooling my 8 kids for 22 years and the biggest thing I've learned is to relax. Message me with any questions.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It was also hard for me when my oldest was five and we were just getting started. Oh how I wish I could go back in time and tell myself, "CHILL OUT!" I got so angry with her sometimes, I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I did. And for what? It was so stupid. Children WILL learn. We just need to be facilitators of that, not dictators. They are hard-wired to want to learn. We just need to provide them with the right information and opportunities. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

It was also hard for me when my oldest was five and we were just getting started. Oh how I wish I could go back in time and tell myself, "CHILL OUT!" I got so angry with her sometimes, I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I did. And for what? It was so stupid. Children WILL learn. We just need to be facilitators of that, not dictators. They are hard-wired to want to learn. We just need to provide them with the right information and opportunities. 

This. Exactly!  Now my kids are 4,6, and 8.  It has gotten much easier and I look forward to it getting even easier as my youngest can do things himself!

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I would stop schooling all together if I were you. I would find more natural and gentle ways to to expose them to "knowledge" for now. This is JUST my personal opinion though.

If you need specific ideas, let us know, I am sure there are some great ideas that could be shared.  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I agree with the others, RELAX. She's not even 5, so school shouldn't look like school just yet. For us, homeschooling is a lifestyle, not a daily event that happens between the hours of 8 and 12 or whatever. Learning takes place when there is an atmosphere of curiosity and discovery. You wouldn't send her off to school if she fought you over bedtime would you? Or what if she is resistant to cleaning her room, or playing nicely with her siblings. Kids are going to be stubborn sometimes, it doesn't have anything to do with "school", this is just learning how to parent effectively. Take your time, have fun, let learning happen naturally.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM
It's really hard. That's why teachers get so burnt out. Imagine doing this for people you don't even love! Yeah. LOL. Luckily, getting the parenting thing down helps to get the school thing under control. If we have a few particularly challenging days in a row, I step back and try to figure out the problem. Sometimes it is me and my chore list, and sometimes it is on Surly McCranken's shoulders. He has ASD so I find myself tweaking more than running a flat schedule. It plays hell on planning, and I'm a planner. I just take a deep breath and sally forth.
Rachel728
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!!   I agree, I need to relax, lol.  I want so badly to do things right, to not fail them in any way....   but I need to find balance.   :) 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Some women fantasize about s*x, others (like myself) about school buses coming to take the children away for a blessed 7 hours. Yes, I've been there!

Also, I'm not of the camp that formal lessons *should never* begin at 4. I think it's a bit "high and mighty" to assume the authority of what another mom's homeschool "should" look like (just thought I'd throw that out there since I'm seeing several finite statements that include "should", "shouldn't", etc)....

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)