Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he made me proud, but broke my heart...

I knew I made the right decision to homeschool as soon as my ds stopped dreading mornings and started reading for fun. Last night, I gave my son his report card for his completed second grade. (i don't care about his grades so much as he's learning. Being from PS, he wants the grades because he's used to it.) He averaged an A all year.... Pretty impressive considering his teacher in ps had been failing him. So, I'm proud that he cares enough to want to get good grades.

Then he wrapped his arms around me and said, "Mom, thanks for being my teacher. You make me feel smart and you don't let other kids be mean to me when I ask a question. I'm never going back to school again." Talk about breaking my heart!

It's a good thing his former teacher and I don't run in the same circles.... I would have a hard time staying in the right side of the law. No one has the right to make my son feel stupid and allow him to be bullied. The more he has revealed about what went on at that school, the more I wish I had pulled him out sooner!
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:23 AM
Replies (11-19):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I go through a bit of self-doubt every year beginning in about April.  When our break comes and the boys are actually disappointed at not having classes, it rejuvinates me.  Also I know many a public school teacher that thinks she ought to retire until a week or two into summer break.  We just need that perspective builder.  :-)

Quoting shamrock_momma:

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm so thankful that I was able to homeschool. After worrying I was screwing up my son for most of the school year, I now feel like we succeeded and I'm excited for next year.

I dont let the anger at that teacher eat at me. I know it's what she has been taught to do. The stuff he tells me just wakes up the mama bear in me. But I use those emotions to fuel me to be a better teacher, and then to just enjoy him and watch him thrive.

You guys have been great too! I don't always post a lot in here but I try to watch and keep up. It's so good to know others are having struggles, sucesses, and just the normalness that I wasn't sure was normal lol.

MacMamaof5
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a shame about ps and the way they are making our little ones feel so insecure.  My son doesn't want to go back either.  He was bullied and the teacher loved her cell phone ( I saw that with my own eyes during a volunteer visit when she sent a note home saying he was misbehaving).  She used idle threats and---I don't want to get into that.  But I am sure glad my kids WANT to stay home and it's not just me wanting them home.  I can educate knowing my kids WANT to be educated...and that trumps any bad feelings for PS or the irresponsible teacher he had. 

RockEducation
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I could have written your post. Good luck to you and your son.

good

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Aww. How bittersweet. I am so happy that you have this chance to help your son be that achiever that he really is. Yay! :)
PEEK05
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Awww that is so sweet.

TheMommysLife
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

That brought tears to my eyes! My daughter says the same thing about never wanting to go back to regular school. She tried so hard in traditional school but to no avail, now she's reading above grade level! I'm so happy we decided to homeschool!

Jenn8604
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Awww poor little guy! That's horrible he went thru that at school.
So happy you are homeschooling him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Aww, poor thing! I felt just like he did when I dropped out of high school and home educated! Good for you for recognizing there was a problem, and having the courage to choose an alternative!

shamrock_momma
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Thank you again for your support. I was blessed enough to have a mom who pulled me from ps and homeschooled me when I was being bullied too. I know it was a lot harder for her back then because there was so much less support out there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)