Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math U See - Question?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

I want to use this math curriculum for my son but I want to know the difference between the 2009 version and the current version of Primer, Alpha, Beta and Gamma? I want to save money since I am buying 4 but, I am not sure if buying the current version to be practical.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Math U See has added a few types of word problems in order to align with CCS.  They don't teach anything in different order and they have in no way reduced their curriculum.  They have simply added the word problems where you are given the total and one of the addends and must find the other addend and other "reverse operation" word problems.  A few extra teaching tips, etc.

Here's the website that tells you what they added:

http://www.mathusee.com/parents/whats-new/message/

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Now I see. Thanks.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Math U See has added a few types of word problems in order to align with CCS.  They don't teach anything in different order and they have in no way reduced their curriculum.  They have simply added the word problems where you are given the total and one of the addends and must find the other addend and other "reverse operation" word problems.  A few extra teaching tips, etc.

Here's the website that tells you what they added:

http://www.mathusee.com/parents/whats-new/message/

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
All they added were enrichment pages. I'd definitely go used, or they have a clearance section on their site that has the older version. We are finishing alpha up as a refresher, then moving on to beta. Both are the last version. We got gamma as a new version from someone who purchased it and decided not to homeschool. Score!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
All they added were enrichment pages. I'd definitely go used, or they have a clearance section on their site that has the older version. We are finishing alpha up as a refresher, then moving on to beta. Both are the last version. We got gamma as a new version from someone who purchased it and decided not to homeschool. Score!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We absolutely love Math-U-See.  If you are buying the new version that just came out, I believe the only difference is that they've added some things to meet the common core.  I went ahead and bought all I could before they made the switchout, just in case.  We have all the Teacher's Guides for every level except Calculus, and I was worried that they would change them and we'd have to buy new everything instead of just a student guide for each kid as they roll through.

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I have been looking at Math U See lately. I have been all of the place with deciding on Math. I have EVERYTHING else ordered and here. I did buy Math 3 of Saxon to do some basic review with my kids over the summer. However, I have no idea what to do after that.

I have been looking at Alg level math even though my kids are not there yet - I want to know how to do Alg so I can help my kids (I was never taught Alg in school). Also, I want to have an idea of what curriculums are better at teaching the higher maths. My kids LOVE math and I don't want to hamper that in any way.  

My oldest hated the looks of Math U See a few years back (I homeschooled her during middle school). She instead used Singapore Math. She currently is in public school - and working on Alg 2 right now (has finished Alg 1 and Geometry). I recently showed her Alg 1 of Math U See - and she said it finally made sense to her. She had been able to do the work, but it had no real meaning to her. She said the Math U See video helped her a bit with that. However, she also said that it seemed too dependent on the manipulatives.  

I know this is off topic.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I am still undecided if I will buy the new version since, the change wasn't that much but the price is plus shipping it up here in Alaska will costs a lot. I can buy the workbooks only from Math U See site and I can get the Teacher's Guide and math manipulative from ebay (older version), that will save me extra money.
Quoting TigerofMu:

We absolutely love Math-U-See.  If you are buying the new version that just came out, I believe the only difference is that they've added some things to meet the common core.  I went ahead and bought all I could before they made the switchout, just in case.  We have all the Teacher's Guides for every level except Calculus, and I was worried that they would change them and we'd have to buy new everything instead of just a student guide for each kid as they roll through.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Look on any used book and used curriculum sites you can find. I've purchased a lot of my books for LO used from amazon, Craigslist listings, Goodwill, homeschoolclassifieds, and the local HS group, and the textbooks and therapy books almost always look unused. I typically spend ten to fifty percent of retail, including shipping. I live in Florida, though, so my shipping rate is lower than yours, I know.
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I think Math U See video is clean. No distraction. My son is a visual learner so he learns better when there are illustrations, videos, drawings, math manipulative, flashcards, less talk and more drawing approach and etc.. I know that this curriculum is perfect for him. He's going on 6th Grade but without solid foundation from ps, that is why I am homeschooling part time before to help him out and now decided to do it full time. This summer is an eye opening for us, he learns and retains information in a short time. The only hard part is to explain why but once he learns it, followed by daily practice and practical application...he absorbs it easily. We still have a long way but it's okay as long as he is learning and enjoying it at the same time.
Quoting celticdragon77:

I have been looking at Math U See lately. I have been all of the place with deciding on Math. I have EVERYTHING else ordered and here. I did buy Math 3 of Saxon to do some basic review with my kids over the summer. However, I have no idea what to do after that.

I have been looking at Alg level math even though my kids are not there yet - I want to know how to do Alg so I can help my kids (I was never taught Alg in school). Also, I want to have an idea of what curriculums are better at teaching the higher maths. My kids LOVE math and I don't want to hamper that in any way.  

My oldest hated the looks of Math U See a few years back (I homeschooled her during middle school). She instead used Singapore Math. She currently is in public school - and working on Alg 2 right now (has finished Alg 1 and Geometry). I recently showed her Alg 1 of Math U See - and she said it finally made sense to her. She had been able to do the work, but it had no real meaning to her. She said the Math U See video helped her a bit with that. However, she also said that it seemed too dependent on the manipulatives.  

I know this is off topic.

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Thank you. I will check those sites out. You are lucky. The educational videos I bought from rocknlearn don't ship to Alaska so I have them sent it to my brother in Alabama then, he sent it to me. Too expensive!!!
Quoting tuffymama:

Look on any used book and used curriculum sites you can find. I've purchased a lot of my books for LO used from amazon, Craigslist listings, Goodwill, homeschoolclassifieds, and the local HS group, and the textbooks and therapy books almost always look unused. I typically spend ten to fifty percent of retail, including shipping. I live in Florida, though, so my shipping rate is lower than yours, I know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN