Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have 3 issues this year with VBS.

1.  Today is my birthday.  I did not want to teach on my birthday, so I asked for someone else to take my class today (the first day of our 3 day Bible School).  Now I feel guilty because I don't have big plans or anything, I just wanted to relax on my birthday.  What do you think?  Selfish?  No?

2.  We have 4 public school teachers in our congregation, we have 6 homeschooling moms in our congregation.  None of the ps teachers were asked to teach but all of the hs moms were asked (repeatedly!).  This bothered me and so I asked why.  The answer was that the ps teachers are burned out and tired of teaching by the end of the year.  WHAT?!?!!  So I'm not burned out and tired of teaching?  We only take a month off and I really wanted to REST for the month.  We go on a vacation week to family camp and I really wanted to bum around and let the kids get bored.  As it turns out we have Bible school this week, next week we have a vet appointment/our school district meeting/3 drs appointments/dentist appointment/ and eye doctor appointment, the following weeek is family camp and the last week of our break is finally blank.  How is it that we hs moms are getting guilted into teaching, but the ps teachers are not even asked?

and finally 3.  It's only 3 days?  We always had a full week and a program.  I know I was just complaining that I didn't want to do it to begin with, but seriously it just seems like if it's only going to be 3 days what is the point? 

I guess I just have to learn how to say no.  I just feel guilty because I'm a board member and I have 3 little boys that go to it.  So I feel like I *should* teach.  But I am tired of coming up with activities, I'm tired of teaching, I'm tired of being surrounded by kids all day.  I just want a break.

Okay, whine fest is over.  For those of you who made it this far, thank you!

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kmath:

1.  No it isn't selfish to want some me time on your birthday!  Happy Birthday, relax and enjoy your time!

2.  That is absolute BS and that policy needs to change ASAP.  I would be making sure the PS parents were asked to do their part or I would start saying NO. 

3.  3 days seems weird to me to. 

Thank you. I think I'm going to need to practice saying no! :/
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I would have told them all that you just put up there as to why I can't do it even though it is just 3 days. IMO you are more deserving of time off from teaching then the PS teachers because you are teacher 24 7 when you homeschool.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I would have told them all that you just put up there as to why I can't do it even though it is just 3 days. IMO you are more deserving of time off from teaching then the PS teachers because you are teacher 24 7 when you homeschool.

Very True!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You are not being selfish... you deserve a day!

Happy Birthday!  Enjoy it!  Are you doing something special later?  birthday sweetpea

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Quoting irvinehiker:

You are not being selfish... you deserve a day!

Happy Birthday!  Enjoy it!  Are you doing something special later?  birthday sweetpea

I am hoping that hubby comes home early. Other than that I am just vegging out. LOL
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM
No Way are you being selfish!! Hogwash! Are you kidding me?
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

No Way are you being selfish!! Hogwash! Are you kidding me?

Not kidding!  This morning I felt completely and totally selfish sitting here watching documentaries and eating popcorn!  LOL  Didn't even let the kids pick them this morning!  HAHA

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't blame you, I'm on day 3 of our 5 day teaching 4/5/kinder. I'm 33 weeks pregnant with 3 kids already. I'm tired....but we never get enough volunteers. I'd take a break if someone was available to cover me.

It's your birthday!!! Relax and don't feel guilty!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

HGoly Mother Juggs! You just don't worry any more! There is no need to feel guilty for anything. Not even for choosing what is being watched by everyone. No More Guilty Feelings!!!!!!! I am there with you in spirit even tho' I'd like it to be in the flesh. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN