Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you trying anything new this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

What's going to be different in the upcoming year?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
MacMamaof5
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM

We just bought our first home.  So we have so much room in the yard and have a woodsy backyard.  So for my boys, it's been nature science paradise!  I've got books on every insect and reptile there is, plus starting a garden so we will be mostly outside and that is different from the condos and townhomes we have been living in.  I can't wait! 

htreveth
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Going to try unschooling/child-led learning with goals my child picks. I'm excited :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Yes, a lot.  We are starting a new co-op and I am also starting a US history club.  My co-op that I am doing I am starting a new class called creative math.  I also found a new online science for my children that I think they will love.  I got 4th grade nature studies for my youngest and middle school physics for my older son.   I also starting another book in a series that I love.  We are starting a history of US for US history next year.  I am starting a book series called The world of physics and the world of mathematics.  It covers both history and science in one reading.  We are also using no stress chess to teach chess to the students in my co-op.  My son is going to be teaching others to play and he excited to be in a teaching role.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
We are still waldorf this coming year, but supplementing a bit with oak meadow and math u see. I still havent gotten my oak meadow so I dont know how much I will use, or like, of it. We are using math u see over the summer just for review. She covered all of alpha in 5 days, which was just addition and subtraction. We are moving on to beta tomorrow or monday to continue review.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof697
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Well my middle daugher wants to learn a different language, we have to ask dad about it. Her words were "writing, spelling, math were not enough I need more."  I think he will probably be ok when she puts it that way.

I am also trying all new math. I know for the 4 of my children what we are doing but I need a math program for a hands on learner. I am still searching for that one.

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We are going to try some child led learning from fall to Christmas.  I will be also doing to unit studies for them...they are getting really excited about this.  The next big change for us will be to "officially" start our boxed curriculum in January.  I will be nice to have my kids on the same schedule.  This year has been chaotic for me to keep up with...who has what lessons when b/c of their start dates.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Julia keeps asking about Spanish, I'm not sure I'm ready to add a language I'm not familiar with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I'm sure everyone has already suggested this but have you looked into Math U See?

Quoting Momof697:

Well my middle daugher wants to learn a different language, we have to ask dad about it. Her words were "writing, spelling, math were not enough I need more."  I think he will probably be ok when she puts it that way.

I am also trying all new math. I know for the 4 of my children what we are doing but I need a math program for a hands on learner. I am still searching for that one.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Good luck! We just bought our first home 3 years ago and it has been a blessing. 8)

Quoting MacMamaof5:

We just bought our first home.  So we have so much room in the yard and have a woodsy backyard.  So for my boys, it's been nature science paradise!  I've got books on every insect and reptile there is, plus starting a garden so we will be mostly outside and that is different from the condos and townhomes we have been living in.  I can't wait! 

mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Last year was just part time homeschooling and spent more to find his current grade level.

This year will be different. We are doing it full time. My brother suggested to sign up for www.ixl.com on top of Math U See curriculum and I just did. Bought leap frog tags and tag books from beginner to advance plus hooked on phonics 1 and 2 to give him solid foundation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)