Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you trying anything new this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

What's going to be different in the upcoming year?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

umm..homeschooling? lol, it is totally new to us!  So this year coming up will just be completely new, uncharted territory!  Wish us luck, lol.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Less bookwork/worksheets and more hands-on learning through life experiences, reading, curiousity-led research, crafts, and projects.  Sticking less to a curriculum set schedule, and allowing ourselves to go off on tangents learning about the kid's interests.  It's made things much more fun for all of us this way, and I'm learning new things too!

CrimsonRadiance
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

We are going to be making Lapbooks for a lot of the bigger lessons. Friends of ours from Texas who homeschool did them last year, and I really liked it! So that is what we are going to be trying this year. :D

ablessedlife
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Some computer courses for the first time (not online). Two courses from Switched on Schoolhouse.
lucsch
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Well, I am way more organized already than usual. Does that count? LOL  I've been printing off ebooks and notebooking pages over the last week or so. All the notebooks and binders look so pretty!

I got a huge sheet of wallboard for a marker board. Looks great on my dining room wall--NOT. LOL, good thing I'm more of a practical person than a decorator.

I will be teaching my daughter "freestyle" from variious sources on the "how" of writing. Since writing is not my "thing" I'm a little nervous. I'm now to the point where I have too many resources. I think I am confusing myself.

Also, we are starting at the beginning of a new science course which covers K-8. I am pretty excited about it. It is comprised of 3 volumes by author Bernard J. Nebel, Ph.D. I had the first book from several years ago. I had taken one look at it and decided I wasn't sure I could implement it. Now, I've bought the other two volumes and am diving right in. My dd has had the typical "a little of this and that" but not anything in a sequence that ties it altogether. In other words, she has had the science that makes the dots in a dot-to-dot picture, but I'm hoping this will draw in the lines to form the complete picture. I hope that made sense. We will still do Apologia and other science---talk about science saturation. LOL

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Using easy peasy, which is an online curriculum put together by another homeschool mom.
QueenCreole313
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM
New curriculum. Monarch by Alpha and Omega.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Does that follow the classical approach?

Quoting QueenCreole313:

New curriculum. Monarch by Alpha and Omega.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I'm *trying* to be more organized this year, myself.

I would love to hear more about this Science program. I haven't heard of it before.

PS: I have one of those white boards hanging up, too.

Quoting lucsch:

Well, I am way more organized already than usual. Does that count? LOL  I've been printing off ebooks and notebooking pages over the last week or so. All the notebooks and binders look so pretty!

I got a huge sheet of wallboard for a marker board. Looks great on my dining room wall--NOT. LOL, good thing I'm more of a practical person than a decorator.

I will be teaching my daughter "freestyle" from variious sources on the "how" of writing. Since writing is not my "thing" I'm a little nervous. I'm now to the point where I have too many resources. I think I am confusing myself.

Also, we are starting at the beginning of a new science course which covers K-8. I am pretty excited about it. It is comprised of 3 volumes by author Bernard J. Nebel, Ph.D. I had the first book from several years ago. I had taken one look at it and decided I wasn't sure I could implement it. Now, I've bought the other two volumes and am diving right in. My dd has had the typical "a little of this and that" but not anything in a sequence that ties it altogether. In other words, she has had the science that makes the dots in a dot-to-dot picture, but I'm hoping this will draw in the lines to form the complete picture. I hope that made sense. We will still do Apologia and other science---talk about science saturation. LOL

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I've been hearing a lot about this curriculum. I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about it once they've used it for a month or two. Maybe I'll use it next year. LOL

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Using easy peasy, which is an online curriculum put together by another homeschool mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)