Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you trying anything new this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

What's going to be different in the upcoming year?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
QueenCreole313
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I'm not sure honestly. It's a computerized version of their LifePacs. The computer grades 80% of the work. It has Math, Science English Bible and History/geography.

Quoting mem82:

Does that follow the classical approach?

Quoting QueenCreole313:

New curriculum. Monarch by Alpha and Omega.

lucsch
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I tried looking at that. My super slow netbook locks up on that site, every time. It looks great, though, for what I can see. :) Let us know how it goes next year.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Using easy peasy, which is an online curriculum put together by another homeschool mom.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Will do.

Quoting lucsch:

I tried looking at that. My super slow netbook locks up on that site, every time. It looks great, though, for what I can see. :) Let us know how it goes next year.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

Using easy peasy, which is an online curriculum put together by another homeschool mom.

lucsch
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I first heard about it on the WTM.

Here is the website, though as a shortcut, the synopsis is here.  I purchased mine on amazon. The ebook (PDF) format is much cheaper, but I bought the print books. There is a yahoo group that has some great helps in getting started at the actual implementation.

A young earth POV is NOT used in this book, though that really does not come into play except in a small section on geology. This basically a secular curriculum.

Quoting mem82:

I'm *trying* to be more organized this year, myself.

I would love to hear more about this Science program. I haven't heard of it before.

PS: I have one of those white boards hanging up, too.

Quoting lucsch:

Well, I am way more organized already than usual. Does that count? LOL  I've been printing off ebooks and notebooking pages over the last week or so. All the notebooks and binders look so pretty!

I got a huge sheet of wallboard for a marker board. Looks great on my dining room wall--NOT. LOL, good thing I'm more of a practical person than a decorator.

I will be teaching my daughter "freestyle" from variious sources on the "how" of writing. Since writing is not my "thing" I'm a little nervous. I'm now to the point where I have too many resources. I think I am confusing myself.

Also, we are starting at the beginning of a new science course which covers K-8. I am pretty excited about it. It is comprised of 3 volumes by author Bernard J. Nebel, Ph.D. I had the first book from several years ago. I had taken one look at it and decided I wasn't sure I could implement it. Now, I've bought the other two volumes and am diving right in. My dd has had the typical "a little of this and that" but not anything in a sequence that ties it altogether. In other words, she has had the science that makes the dots in a dot-to-dot picture, but I'm hoping this will draw in the lines to form the complete picture. I hope that made sense. We will still do Apologia and other science---talk about science saturation. LOL

craftyzenmom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

We are heading into year 4.... Boys will be in 8th grade (how in the world did THAT happen?) and my baby girl in 5th. I order curriculum through our charter school and I notice that each year I use fewer and fewer text books and workbooks. This year all I ordered was standard Algebra and Chemistry for the boys (they take classes once a week) same for my daughter, math and science. I do language arts with novel units and journal activities. Have yet to pick next years reading list....always a hot topic around my house. I will be looking for creative ways to teach history as usual.... Textbooks don't cut it, we tried Story of the World and that was too young. I think I might piece together books, maps, movies, field trips etc... for each of their time periods. BIG CHANGE will be transitioning into high school next year..... We will be looking for a high school all year that works for the boys. I'm going to be sad our time together is coming to an end. On the other hand, time alone with dd will be interesting :)

Momof697
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

No but I will look into it now. Thanks. I will let you what I find out about it. IT will take me a few days to get to it though.

Quoting mem82:

I'm sure everyone has already suggested this but have you looked into Math U See?

Quoting Momof697:

Well my middle daugher wants to learn a different language, we have to ask dad about it. Her words were "writing, spelling, math were not enough I need more."  I think he will probably be ok when she puts it that way.

I am also trying all new math. I know for the 4 of my children what we are doing but I need a math program for a hands on learner. I am still searching for that one.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We will be using a different history curriculum.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Thanks!!

Quoting mem82:

good luck!

Quoting SuperMommy408:

I'm purchasing a curriculum this year. I'm still doing research, which I need to have picked out really really soon!! Last year I did my own thing!!

sdgd21
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Abeka science for the teens.
3aimingfor5
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Yes-my just turned 5 year old will have the Timberdoole first grade complete set.
My twins who are 7 did Horizons last year while we will stick with their math we are going with different reading, writing, history, and science.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN