Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is summer more busy than the 'school year' or does it slow down a bit?

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Replies (11-19):
Maridel
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Way busier. My nephews are out of school so we are with then all the time. Summer bowling, $1 movies, pools, beach (when we can). Plus my dd just did horse camp last wk and VBS in July.
blueyedbaker
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Busier as far as activities outside of school work. We do much more stuff during the summer. I hate winter and cold so we tend to stay in more during the winter, not that we're less busy inside we just don't do as many activities outside. My girls still have to do reading and math throughout the summer but we do a lot more activities, projects, camping, parties, day trips...

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Just a different kind of busy it seems

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Its a different kind of busy.

Its more relaxing than the stress of *having* to get work done.

The kids go to summer camps so there is packing and scheduling picking up and dropping off.

Karate goes year round.
Gymnastics only takes 2 weeks off.
Boy Scouts doesn't take 2 months off like my old troop did.
Church confirmation does take off - yeah!
Antlers goes year round but is only 2x a month.
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Just as busy! At least it feels like it. We're spending our summer homeschooling because school happened in fits and starts this year. But with different camps and things, we still have a lot going on.

oahoah
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM

We have been busier now than during the school year, more energy to burn & time to have fun!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM

This week has been crazy busy.  DD had theater camp all week, along with a beach party and girls scout event.  I'm hoping things quiet down a bit now.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Since we're still early on in this game (K), schoolwork doesn't change much. I'm still offering just the same as I was before. Outside of schoolwork it's a wash. Awana is out for the summer and soccer doesn't start up til fall, so that time is freed up. But with nicer weather we go out more. Trips to the zoo, the dinosaur park, swimming lessons, park playdates, train rides, birthday parties (seriously almost every child in our extended family was born in June or July), the pool is open, hiking, camping ....

Okay I take it back, summer is busier!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I think it's the same amount of busy, but a different kind of busy.  I do a lot of extra curricular and activities with the kids through the school year, adding field trips and whatever else.  In the summer we're camping, have season passes to the local water park we go to weekly, do bowling and skating weekly.  So it almost rounds up to about the same amount of running around and doing things, just a different style depending on what time of the year it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)