Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often are you not actually NOT at home?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm officially starting only my 2/3rd year homeschooling and have asked my husband to make sure we have gas for our gas guzzling 12 passenger van to get out of the house at least twice a month.  Is that too little?  Just wondering how often do you actually get out of the house (besides out in the yard) during your school year? 

family in the van

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
CatFishMom
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

We go to the library for story time once a week during the 'school year'. My oldest is five in August and I have a little guy and another on the way. Then I grocery shop every two weeks. Otherwise? Not often-and I dont consider those outings often because we're out for an hour once a week. :-/

mommaoftwo
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM

um.....pretty much everyday we are doing something, or at least 3 or 4 times a week during the week.

We have appts on Weds

Art on Tues occasionally

Fridays are play dates

and then evenings are for things like theatre etc.

But Ive got five kiddos, three of which are old enough for activities  (9,8,4)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

We are gone so much I say we need to call it outschooling!

Monday is  the only day the kids dont have co-op or classes, sports, church, scouts, etc

I try to do one field trip or special activity a month.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM

We have lessons or practice almost every day of the week.  Then there's also play dates every couple of weeks

MammaG08
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Let's see...storytime at the library once a week (which we need to go to the library weekly anyway), homeschool gym class at a local place 1-2 times a week, a homeschool class at the zoo once a month, 1-2 field trips per month with a homeschool group, gymnastics 1 or 2 times a month, preschool playgroup once a week, and other various activities with friends, family, or just us.  I guess I like to get out of the house almost daily, which works for us right now because my kids are so young and don't need a whole lot of time for homeschool (1-2 hours will do for us). 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM
We go to the library once a week. We go to t YMCA at least 4 time a week we ride out bikes the other days w do not go to the library. We go friends and family members houses so the children can play.
Momof697
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I have 5 kids I hs. So it is all different.  During winter boys go to wrestling practice twice a week and 1 tournament on the weekend. 

Oldest three have youth group and I used to take them now their grandparents can take them.

We will have homeschool co op twice a month for all of them. 

And once in a while you we have appts.   We go the chiropractor and we try to get everyone there once a month.

We don't hs during the summer officially because we are farmers and we are finding as our kids get older and are going here and there it would be harder and harder to do.  I might try some science though and if they have friends over they can do it too.

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

We haven't been out as much in the last month or so as we usually are.  We would do a playdate and art class at a local park, rollerskating on  Wednesdays (outside rink at a park), rollerskating on Saturdays (rink temporarily closed due to a fire).  Earlier in the school year we would try to hit the library once a week for storytime....my kids have outgrown this, but are asking to do it again...it is aimed for 3 yo's to start of Kindergarten.  I am trying to find activities with the library summer reading for them to do, and we are going to change our Wednesday afternoon skate session to a morning skate session as it is cooler and our coach (who is also a friend) is no longer joining us...she has a paid Wednesday evening gig to coach (we are happy for her).

mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Well right now we have one car and live in the middle of nowhere so we don't get out much. My dh will get a work truck in 60-90 days so I will have the car and am going to make an effort to get out 2-4 times a month. 

MacMamaof5
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I don't like to stay BUSY.  So, I think twice a month is good for us right now.  It seems the more I see you listing the things you do OUTSIDE the home, the more likely the activity requires money (ie. dance class, music, gymnastics, YMCA membership, etc).  I think I am just going to concentrate on finding about two favorite parks and keep our science center membership.  Perhaps I will also join the aquatic center after taxes for next summer year.  For now, the free concerts every weekend and movie specials the community has should suffice.  Thanx all! YOu were/are EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN