Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ages and stages

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 8 Replies
Do you find it is easier to have kids closer together in age as you homeschool, or do you prefer a gap?

Mine are all 3-4 years apart. It's nice that I can focus on the oldest for 3 years and get her established before I have to worry about actual lessons with the next one, but I was thinking if they were a year or two apart, combining might be more fun as well.

What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I only have one so I am not sure.  I would think being able to do combo lessons for most subjects would be a little easier.

KLove_Mom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Closer toghether is BOTH easier and more difficult. :D

I have twin 4 1/2 year olds and a 2 year old.

It's easier because they like the same level of books, activities, etc. They've had mostly the same exposure to the same books. So if I bring out a book about a subject, I can bet they know mostly the same information to start with about it.

More difficult because I still have to spend time with them individualy because my twins (boy and girl) are at different levels and have different things they are good at.
If I try to work with them together on specific skills, it becomes a competition of who can answer first, or who can do it easier/faster/better.

...In conclusion... I don't think there's a perfect age grouping or separation... there are blessings and challenges in every family.

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

hmm since mine are all close together, 4 kids within 5 years, i dont know if it would be easier having them spaced out!

but i like having them close together, was a bit hard when they started to learn to drive though!!!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My kids are 5 years apart, and it's a bit of a challenge trying to get my little guy going on work, especailly since I still have to be practically right on top of him while he does his stuff (such as writing, and he's learning to read) and then the oldest has questions and needs one on one attention. Sometimes I just wish I could split in half and have both of me work with each one individually lol.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My children are close in age and we've found what works for us, so I don't know if having them spaced apart would work better for us, or not.

When we started homeschooling they were 3, 5, 6, and 7.  I added more breaks back then and we had park time that we'd do school at the park for a bit, and then they would run and get their energy out.  I found ways to make it less tiring since they were all younger and full of more energy.  Back then the energy level was my biggest obstacle.

We're going onto our 7th year of homeschooling and the kids are much older.  I find that I do not have to worry about their energy level very much anymore, which is nice.  They know what is expected of them and so now I can hand them the work, and it gets done.  It does help that they are older and able to work independently.  When we cover our science I can separate them into groups of two and have them work on stuff as a team, and we can all cover the same History together.  Grouping them together for a given subject does make it much easier on me when it comes to grading and keeping track of where each child is.

I think we all adjust to what we're given.  I'm sure that had my kids been spaced farther apart I would've adjusted just as fine as I have with them so close together.  It's just a matter of finding what works for you and your family and going with it.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I have four children two of them are twins so I can make one curriculum for them with my older two I have make two curriculum sometimes it is kind of hard but this year my husband is making the math for them both so that will help.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I have three kids. 17, 10.5 and 9yrs old. So I have one that is far apart in age from the others (by about 7yrs) and two that are close in age (20mths apart). There is a benefit to both. With homeschooling specific, I like and prefer combining the lessons. I could not handle multiple grade levels going on at once. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I think closer together is better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)