Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

That scheduling post was a bust. It got off topic and stayed off topic. I didn't get what I was looking for out of it. So I am going to try this one more time. Hopefully, wording it better.

Excuse the typos, I am usually tired when here, and in a hurry.

Does anyone Create or Supplement lesson plans?

IF you do, how do you go about it?

Do you sit down once a year and schedule everything out? Or do you break it down into bits - like once every 3 mths, or every 6wks, or once a week? 

Do you know everything that you will use, read and do? 

How do you leave room for things that take longer or something you come across that you want to fit into the schedule? 

I have a very restricted amount of time that I have in a day to cover materials - so going a little longer in the day is not an option. I have the max amount of weeks - and days in a week that I want to use for "school".

So while I do my scheduling, I am trying to think of how I can leave some extra room, if I need it.

I homeschool 4 hrs a day - 4 days a wk - 45 wks a year. (I work a ft job). 

I was thinking of scheduling Mon-Wed and leaving Thurs open for "extra time" incase something takes longer or the kids and I come across something interesting that wasn't planned. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Replies (21-26):
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I agree, and thank you. Those are the supplements I am wanting to add into the day. I also need to schedule the other materials into my days as well. I think that I have a pretty good start on things, In the past few days, I put have put things together and am liking the results. We will see how it goes... =)

Quoting kirbymom:

Instead of trying to add in supplemental as school lessons, try finding ways yiou can make them gams of a sort for our days where you can just play and relax? Kids are more likely to pick up info when hey think it's just a game or where tey know they are not being pushed to learn for teacher's/parent's objectives. ???

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

Okay. I see. Can you add them to the end/beginning of a lesson that has the same idea or lesson principle?
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I think I ended up adding more to that comment while you were responding.

But yeah, I am kind of painting the weeks with a broad stroke and then filling in the details throughout the week. For example: the weeks broad topic might be "archaeology", and then I am listing various subtopics that I wish to cover within that theme. I also am listing suggested books, videos, websites, activities, and such. It doesn't have to all get done. We will be notebooking for most subjects so it will be evident how much ground we are covering. But at the grammar stage, I am just concerned with exposing them to these topics. 

I hope that this is making sense. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Okay. I see. Can you add them to the end/beginning of a lesson that has the same idea or lesson principle?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting celticdragon77:

Yes, you are making sense. I on the other hand am a little bit jumbled from juggling several things on my plate. I do apologize for not seeming to understand what you needed .
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

How I schedule.

In June/July I choose all of the books (textbooks, information books, and literature), science and history topics, and extras (art, music and Spanish topics) that we will cover basically all year long.  I make the list, buy anything we don't have and pencil in where the topics will begin and end in the month spreads of our planners.

Then I write the lesson plans for the first month of lessons along with any field trips I want in there. 

Each Sunday I print out any worksheets I'll need, gather materials for projects/experiments.  I put everything in the kids' boxes for the week.  We work our way through the box until we've finished everything for that week.

Every 2 weeks, I look at what we've accomplished and plan 2 more weeks of lessons.  If we need more time with something, It's still okay, I just spread the lessons out a bit.  If we are flying through something, I may choose extra topics for the end of the year and pick out more books to buy or order.

I'm nearly always a month ahead in my planning.  Then if big things come up, that's just one thing I can put off for a while, I'll already have plans for a long time in advance.  Also if someone gets sick, lessons can carry on even while I take care of the sick one.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)