Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Book curriculum vs. online curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post
I want to find a curriculum that mainly uses books. I just don't want my son sitting in front of a computer all day.. I definitely plan to use the computer just not the entire day..... Please help and thanks!!
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Replies (11-16):
lucsch
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Well, you like lots of books, go for a CM-style curriculum!

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you have the Rainbow Resources catalog? (it takes like 2mths to arrive if you dont order anything besides the catalog). I just received my first one this week and it blew me away. There seems to be everything under the sun listed in this thing. It gives great overviews of every item. The thing is intimidating and mammoth in size, but like a homeschoolers bible of resources. There are no colored pages, but you could easily look on the publishers website for better views - and also to see samples. I also use a few websites for reviews; Amazon, homeschool reviews .com, and Cathy Duffys website. 

I don't ever feel comfortable recommending materials to anyone. It is hard enough to choose what to use for my own family - and I know them better than anyone in the whole world. It comes down more to personal preferences much of the time.

If you find a cheap used Cathy Duffy 101 Top Picks book, she helps homeschoolers think about the factors that influences their curriculum decisions. I have found the same info online for free though - I just don't have the links handy. Basically, make a list of what is important to you... religious/secular world views, cost.. number them in the order of importance. Then match that list up with your views on learning styles and teaching methods (homeschool methods). 

Even after you do decide on something, you likely will come across a few flops... 

Quoting rayraymommy3:

I would like to find a homeschooling program that has more books, workbooks, papers.. Rather than online for teaching the daily subjects. Something not too expensive!

Quoting celticdragon77:

What do you need help with specifically? 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

When you say books... are you thinking textbooks or living books? 

rayraymommy3
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Textbooks, workbooks. The reason why I say this is because most of the more common homeschool programs, have at least two choices the online courses or textbook opinion. I am looking for more of a cheaper textbook curriculum.
rayraymommy3
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I will look it up thanks!

Quoting lucsch:

Well, you like lots of books, go for a CM-style curriculum!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds prefers books to anything online.  For the formal academics, we only use textbooks, living books, and workbooks:

Saxon Math, Apologia Science, K12 Human Odyssey, Lightning Literature, Sequential Spelling, and Wordly Wise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)