Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Graduation

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 9 Replies

What is the going rate for a graduation party gift? We haven't been to one in years so I wouldn't even know what to give. I'm not sure if it matters any that we have 5 this year. Do you give the same amount to each. They are mostly family too.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

For me, it's $50.00 cash or gift.

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Assuming you are talking about a high school graduation, I'd go for $100 cash. If you go with a physical gift, get something for college. 

If the child is "graduating" from some lower grade I'd bring an empty greeting card. I don't understand why we reward kids for passing to a new grade.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:20 AM
I am a cheap skate then because I would only give $25 or give a gift that cost about that much.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM
This. No way could I afford $50-100 for graduation gifts.

Quoting usmom3:

I am a cheap skate then because I would only give $25 or give a gift that cost about that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I agree with this, especially if you have more than one to go to.  If it was a close family member and I had the extra, I might go up to $50 or equivelent gift.  If you don't want to give cash, and they are moving into a dorm or apt then something for that is usually a great gift.

Quoting usmom3:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here. The best gift I got when I graduated from HS was a cute tin container from an older lady on a fixed income. She told me to let her know when I was leaving for college so she could fill it with homemade cookies. Let me tell you, I made LOTS of friends on my dorm hall that first night.:) After that I used the tin for desk supplies.

Quoting kmath:

I agree with this, especially if you have more than one to go to.  If it was a close family member and I had the extra, I might go up to $50 or equivelent gift.  If you don't want to give cash, and they are moving into a dorm or apt then something for that is usually a great gift.

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aleshad01
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Same here

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM
OMG! I would get a small gift like a card or a gift certificate to a local store or even just hand them a ten dollar bill with a card. Maybe even take them out to their favorite restaurant.
jsbuck
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

We set our limit at $25.  My brother has 6 children, one sister has 2 and the other sister has 5....we would go broke if we tried to give each one $100. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)