Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't WANT him to socialize with most kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Every single person I have mentioned homeschooling to thinks it's terrible that my child won't be able to socialize. I think they are clueless about what alot of kids are like. We swim at the Y in the summer. The first day some boys his age were playing and screamed at him he couldn't play with them. He hadn't even gone near them much less asked to play. The next day some kids were playing a game asking each other what they liked. One was,"Do you like beer?' Yesterday a girl about 6 told a boy she wanted to have his baby. So who are all these kids that my son would beneift from socializing with?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry had to laugh...my 8 year old (after having "the talk" at school luckily we already had it and I FLIPPED on the teacher for not telling us...asked me if he and "this girl" would make cute babies. 

Another reason I am homeschooling next year (99 % sure now just gotta make sure it wont effect my disabiltiy cheque)

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Yep! I feel the same!!!
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes it depends on the area and place. Sometimes just the luck of the draw. There are all kinds of people in the world. 

My oldest daughter once made friends with a neighbor girl who was ridiculously controlling. I had to teach my daughter that she will meet people like this in life, and how to deal with it. I didn't really want to dictate who her friends were. However, I wanted to careful monitor who they were and guide her through some of the social situations she has found herself in. 

Hope that helps...

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Quoting celticdragon77:

Sometimes it depends on the area and place. Sometimes just the luck of the draw. There are all kinds of people in the world. 

My oldest daughter once made friends with a neighbor girl who was ridiculously controlling. I had to teach my daughter that she will meet people like this in life, and how to deal with it.

I didn't really want to dictate who her friends were. However, I wanted to careful monitor who they were and guide her through some of the social situations she has found herself in. 

I love the above quote!! That is a great view of how to handle your ever growing into teenhood and then adulthood. Some situations should not be avoided though, lest our children grow up ignorant of how to handle themselves and any potential situations later, as grown ups,
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Quoting Bluecalm:

I don't mean they're bad, it's just what they are exposed to. All it takes is one kid in a class who is very wordly and then your kid knows those things too.

I totally get what you are saying. I am just saying that, in my experience, there are "worldy" kids in public school and those that homeschool. I have seen both sides of the fence, because my boys have attended public, private and have been homeschooled for the past 7 years.

We belong to pretty good sized co-op now, 50 families, and there are ALL kinds of kids there. Some of the kids are "worldy" and some are painfully shy and there are even some bullies and some that will make your heart melt. So, I have just learned that the greatest influence I can have on my kids is the example my husband and I set for them in our day to day life, not really in how we choose to educate them.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. But I do think we should stop generalizing.

TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM

clappingTHANK YOU!!!! I agree with you so much! I get the same thing all the time. My kids are well socialized with team sports, scouts and such. Part of the reason I chose homeschooling is because of the kids my kids were encountering. 

TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Quoting celticdragon77:

My oldest daughter once made friends with a neighbor girl who was ridiculously controlling. I had to teach my daughter that she will meet people like this in life, and how to deal with it. I didn't really want to dictate who her friends were. However, I wanted to careful monitor who they were and guide her through some of the social situations she has found herself in. 

Hope that helps...

clapping

Mandallyn
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I know my kids will meet people I personally wish they could avoid, but they need to understand how to handle themselves around those people and not to buckle under peer pressure.

That's one of the reasons I enjoy homeschool. I am always available to answer any questions they may have or help them work through any emotions they feel because of another child's behavior.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Hope that helps...

101stwife
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM

To be honest, that statement is kinda close minded and not accepting and considerate of others. The way that kids behave is much more about how the parents are parenting their kids, and not really the school.

My kids all went to public school up until this past year. They are very well behaved, are respectful and use their manners. Just because they are home schooled now doesn't mean they are better kids. In fact, I have ran into some home school kids that I don't really want my kids around. It has nothing to do with their education status, it has to do with the fact their parents didn't teach them how to act.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Quoting 101stwife:

To be honest, that statement is kinda close minded and not accepting and considerate of others. The way that kids behave is much more about how the parents are parenting their kids, and not really the school.

My kids all went to public school up until this past year. They are very well behaved, are respectful and use their manners. Just because they are home schooled now doesn't mean they are better kids. In fact, I have ran into some home school kids that I don't really want my kids around. It has nothing to do with their education status, it has to do with the fact their parents didn't teach them how to act.

I have no idea if the children in question were public school kids or home school kids. I was at a swimming pool. There was nothing in my post comparing the behavior of public school kids to homeschool kids. My point is that I find it ironic that since I decided to homeschool I have heard so many comments from people about the need to be sure and socialize my son, and here we were around other kids and he heard comments I would rather he did not hear. There was no redeeming value in his interactions with them. That is all I was talking about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN