Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't WANT him to socialize with most kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Every single person I have mentioned homeschooling to thinks it's terrible that my child won't be able to socialize. I think they are clueless about what alot of kids are like. We swim at the Y in the summer. The first day some boys his age were playing and screamed at him he couldn't play with them. He hadn't even gone near them much less asked to play. The next day some kids were playing a game asking each other what they liked. One was,"Do you like beer?' Yesterday a girl about 6 told a boy she wanted to have his baby. So who are all these kids that my son would beneift from socializing with?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM
I agree, I don't want my kids to socialize with kids like that.
acrogodess
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:26 AM
The kids went to public school for yrs before I began homeschooling them. I am surprised they made it out as innocent as they did. I worked in an afterschool program and at the summer daycamp program run by the YMCA. We had two kindergarteners perform oral on each other (not on my watch), kids curse, steal, masturbate, bully each other and staff, fight, etc. It was awful and these were grade school children. I was much happier finding neighbors and families at church for them to socialize with. They don't even want to go back to public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I agree! I am very selective to whom my kids hang out with, both homeschooled and reg school. The drawback to public school is, you dont get to be selective. They are with 600+ kids every day and will witness all kinds of nasty, inappropriate things and you cant do a thing about it. Unless you homeschool. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I am also moving for this reason. I cannot stand the neighbor kids. They are so rude, greedy, and inappropriate. My neighbors girl used to (ahem) "grind" on and kiss a towel with a boy from high school musical on it. At 3 years old. They encourage all that and I am scared of how they will turn out. We are moving back to the country where I was raised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
housewifehell
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I totally understand that, I do not agree with so much of how children are raised today and the socialization thing is overrated. I read an article that said if children dont socialize with adults they dont know how to become adults and after reading that I began thinking about "adults" today who still only hang out with people in their age group or younger and I see a huge decline in the "adult" population. Its like keeping them with other kids is keeping them kids themselves. And the issues you have had are just a few of the things that kids do that I can't stand and do not want my kids around. We go on play dates and go to the park but when a child is rude to my kids or they get nasty i use that as a teaching moment to teach my kids that we don't act like that.

101stwife
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I just hate that people normally group public school kids into the "bad influence" category just like non home school families group home schooled kids into the "weird and unsocialized" category.

I have ran into a lot of people that have told me we are the first homeschool family that isn't "weird" and it is really getting on my nerves. What is that even supposed to mean? So, my kids are supposed to be wild, unruly brats if I use public school and weird and socially awkward if we home school? I just hate blanket statements.

amnicu02
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I think it's a combo of parenting and public school. They spend just about as much time at school as they do at home so they have a lot of time to spend with kids that come from all different kinds of homes. I'm not saying that my children should not socialize with kids that are mean or talk about things that they shouldn't be talking about. I use that as a homeschool lesson. How to deal with all different kinds of situations and people.
Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I can relate, the kids around here swear, the girls look like they are going to a bar instead of school. They mess around in front of cars, one girl was dancing in the middle of the street. I was going to put Destinay in Girl Scouts then Destinay told me how the girls really are. So with the children being like that what's the point of hanging out with them?
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM

This is exactly how I feel! 

Quoting 101stwife:

I just hate that people normally group public school kids into the "bad influence" category just like non home school families group home schooled kids into the "weird and unsocialized" category.

I have ran into a lot of people that have told me we are the first homeschool family that isn't "weird" and it is really getting on my nerves. What is that even supposed to mean? So, my kids are supposed to be wild, unruly brats if I use public school and weird and socially awkward if we home school? I just hate blanket statements.

Tal0n
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Eh...if you have a kid like mine, she'd be the one setting those kids straight.

"You're too young for beer, it's an alcoholic beverage.  I am also far too young and it's nasty anyway."

"You're six.  Do you even know how babies are conceived, gestated and born?"

And I don't mean NOW, when she's 13...I mean from speaking age on up.  For real.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)