Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you using to teach your 6 year olds?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 12 Replies

what are you using to homeschool your 6 year olds?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My son is 11 and is autistic. I pulled him out from public school this year. I don't know his actual grade level so for Math I signed up for www.ixl.com and started him from K and see where he's lacking. This will be a very good start for your 6 years old. It builds skills and everytime you make a mistake, it will keep on giving you more problems till you master the skill.

If he's advance, you can move up anytime. You can view or print out his performance. You can also supplement it with workbooks if you want. But for me, this is a stand alone skill builder.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

SarahNElijah
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM
My son just turned 7, and we are eclectic .. I make my own curriculum, which is mostly unit studies, with breaks that incorporate learning in fun ways in between (like math secret code treasure hunts, writing letters/stories, science experiments, math tag, playing store, converting board games into math, etc.) :-) It has worked pretty well for us so far, and will be doing the same this year. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Books from the Robinson Curriculum for reading (currently on George Washington) plus McGuffey (now on Level 4).

Writing with Ease (about half way through Level 1)/ English for the Thoughtful Child (about half way through)

Singapore Math (Level 2)/ IXL website/ Abacus

Science classes at the local science museum

Spanish with tutor/Japanese with Tutor

Violin/Music Racer Website for note reading drill

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I don't have a 6 year old any more, my youngest is turning 8 today.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Like SarahNElijah, I am eclectic, and create much of my own curriculum.  When I do use curriculum, I find that I like what other home educators have created, because they created their curriculum to fill a need that standard curriculum was not fulfilling...."Home School is not the classroom". 

Different Methods Used By Home Educators  (This article also explains different learning styles, and what curriculum works for them)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Things I liked from when my dd was 6:

All about spelling
handwriting without tears
beginning recorder
story of the world book with cds, not the activity guide
real science odyssey life

If I had to do it over again, id choose oak meadow grade 1 or waldorf essentials.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

We use Abeka for everything except history and science.  My daughter will be in 1st grade.

Maridel
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM

We just finished her first grade year using a Catholic based phonics program called Little Angel Readers. We used a Science book from Catholic Heritage Curricula, the book is called Behold and See 1. And we started Math U See Alpha in February so we are continuing it through the summer. We use Rosetta Stone for spanish. That's about it for now. I'm going to buy the full Curriculum from Catholic Heritage Curricula for second grade in a month or so, except Math we will continue Math U See. But for now we are enjoying learning through play focusing on my 4 year olds level but involving all the 6 year old and 10 month old.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM

My 6yo this year will be doing:

Hooked on Phonics (the end of grade 1 and probably all of grade 2)
Math U See Alpha
Life of Fred: Butterflies and Cats
Story of the World: Book2 along with his 8yo brother. Plus some geography that I do myself
Jan Van Cleave's Chemistry for Everykid; The Way We Work; The Night Sky book; Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots; Mary Jane's Outpost; and the Encyclopedia of Country Living (all for science)
Can You Find It?  (by the Metropolitan Museum of Art)

Language Arts I do myself for that age.

ETA:  Oh yeah, and we do Lightning Fast Spanish!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM

We'll be using
All About Spelling
Math U See
Real Science 4 Kids
Handwriting Without Tears
Write Shop Primary
and most likely finishing All About Reading lvl 2 at the rate he's going lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)