Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having no regulations seems just as difficult as having too many...

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 22 Replies

I live in NH, where there are basically no regulations about hsing.  I have to notify the school distrcit, keep a portflio (only requirement is to include a list of books they read), and have an evalutaion of their portfolio by a teacher OR take a standardized test at the end of the school year.  http://nhhomeschooling.org/law

We have to cover these subjects: "science, mathematics, language, government, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, the history of the constitutions of New Hampshire and the United States, and an exposure to and appreciation of art and music"

I am starting to lay out our plan for the year and looked at a calendar and I am just lost now.  I have no idea how many days or weeks we should do.  I am just going to semi-follow the school calendar but not take as many vacas, but allow for breaks whenever the kids seem to need/want them.  Our schooling will be pretty relaxed anyway so I just don't think we will need a lot of scheduled breaks. 

We are doing SOTW for history which is where I'm starting with my lesson planning, there are 42 chapters (plus the intro) in volume one, I am guessing we can average two chapters a week (maybe one on some weeks if we want to go more in depth on something), I plan to spread it out over a year, does that seem right?  Or could/should we get through two volumes in the year?

I am pretty flexible and figure it will all kind of work itself out once we get going, but looking at it, it's just awkward to not have any guidelines to follow at all!

Edited to make link clicky.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM

When we did SOTW we only did one volume per year and added in the activities guide, readers, read alouds and lots of reference books and videos (we were using Sonlight at the time).

It was very helpful for me to find a couple of Yahoo groups specifically for SOTW users. In there you can find schedule helps, print outs and advice on how to link the books with other curriculum.

We LOVED using SOTW, but it was the activity guides that made it more complete IMO.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM
That sounds great, thank you. Where do I find yahoo groups? Just google them or go to yahoo and look? I've never looked at them before!

Quoting swim-mom72:

When we did SOTW we only did one volume per year and added in the activities guide, readers, read alouds and lots of reference books and videos (we were using Sonlight at the time).

It was very helpful for me to find a couple of Yahoo groups specifically for SOTW users. In there you can find schedule helps, print outs and advice on how to link the books with other curriculum.

We LOVED using SOTW, but it was the activity guides that made it more complete IMO.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I have even less regulations.  I only have to send a notice of intent yearly.  No records, testing, portfolios.  I'm required to teach 875 hours, but not required to keep track.  The first 2 years I kept track of my hours, but no longer do.  I have yet to meet someone in my state that tracks hours.  

When I started it was a bit overwhelming not having regs, but now I enjoy the freedom.  :)

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:03 AM
3 moms liked this
If you think that is easy regulations you should see the laws for states like Texas.
swim-mom72
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to create a Yahoo account and then search for groups in the groups searchbar. There are a few, so you just pick and choose the ones you wan to join.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

That sounds great, thank you. Where do I find yahoo groups? Just google them or go to yahoo and look? I've never looked at them before!

Quoting swim-mom72:

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Yep, we live in Texas, and there are ZERO regulations. I mean, we report to no one, no testing required, no grades or portfolio or umbrella group or anything. It is just "suggested" that we teach the same core classes for each grade that they would be taking if in public school and that we try to stick to the 180 days. But, there is no one to check and make sure we do these things : )

Quoting usmom3:

If you think that is easy regulations you should see the laws for states like Texas.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM
With SOTW, some chapters have 2-4 mini chapters within it. We did a "section" at a time, and did history 2 days a week. So if a chapter was one section long, we might cover two chapters in a week. But if the chapter had 4 sections in it, it would take us 2 weeks. Does that make sense?

We had the activity guide as well and would read a chapter/section, do an activity for it that the guide suggested, and for her reading time she would read one of the recmended books from the library.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Also, we have the same regulations here in ohio. I plan for 36/37 weeks I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:56 AM
One last post. Lol! I said we used the activity guide. That was first grade and we got through about chapter 16 that way. Now we just read the chapters, talk about them, and listen to the cds in the car. I think that much history is too much for little kids in 1-4 grade. They will be repeating the exact same info in grades 5-8 when they can handle and remember the info. So we just use it as a nice story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine will be grades 5 and 6, so I do want to make sure they are getting more out of it than just the story. So I am making other plans to go along with it. Good to know how you did it though, I like the idea of a section each lesson and history two days a week.

What subjects do you do every day and which ones once or twice a week?

Quoting Boobah:

One last post. Lol! I said we used the activity guide. That was first grade and we got through about chapter 16 that way. Now we just read the chapters, talk about them, and listen to the cds in the car. I think that much history is too much for little kids in 1-4 grade. They will be repeating the exact same info in grades 5-8 when they can handle and remember the info. So we just use it as a nice story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)