Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having no regulations seems just as difficult as having too many...

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in NH, where there are basically no regulations about hsing.  I have to notify the school distrcit, keep a portflio (only requirement is to include a list of books they read), and have an evalutaion of their portfolio by a teacher OR take a standardized test at the end of the school year.  http://nhhomeschooling.org/law

We have to cover these subjects: "science, mathematics, language, government, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, the history of the constitutions of New Hampshire and the United States, and an exposure to and appreciation of art and music"

I am starting to lay out our plan for the year and looked at a calendar and I am just lost now.  I have no idea how many days or weeks we should do.  I am just going to semi-follow the school calendar but not take as many vacas, but allow for breaks whenever the kids seem to need/want them.  Our schooling will be pretty relaxed anyway so I just don't think we will need a lot of scheduled breaks. 

We are doing SOTW for history which is where I'm starting with my lesson planning, there are 42 chapters (plus the intro) in volume one, I am guessing we can average two chapters a week (maybe one on some weeks if we want to go more in depth on something), I plan to spread it out over a year, does that seem right?  Or could/should we get through two volumes in the year?

I am pretty flexible and figure it will all kind of work itself out once we get going, but looking at it, it's just awkward to not have any guidelines to follow at all!

Edited to make link clicky.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this
We have to send a letter of intent once. Never again after that, it is assumed they are still homeschooled. And while we have to do the portfolio or test, we don't have to turn it in (how does that make sense? Lol). We are supposed to keep it on file for two years, but I really don't know why since we don't have to show anyone.

I definitely am glad we have the freedom to do it how we want, I believe in lots of freedom since that's what our country was founded on...it's just weird to try to plan it when I don't have any guidelines to use. So I'll just figure out what other people do and see what works for us!

Quoting irvinehiker:

I have even less regulations.  I only have to send a notice of intent yearly.  No records, testing, portfolios.  I'm required to teach 875 hours, but not required to keep track.  The first 2 years I kept track of my hours, but no longer do.  I have yet to meet someone in my state that tracks hours.  

When I started it was a bit overwhelming not having regs, but now I enjoy the freedom.  :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
When I try to talk DH into moving I only talk about Texas since I know their laws for everything are similar to ours. That's how it should be! Don't mess with Texas right? Lol

Quoting usmom3:

If you think that is easy regulations you should see the laws for states like Texas.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I have told my Hubby that we can't move out of state until the children are all grown because we have it so good here with the homeschool laws.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

When I try to talk DH into moving I only talk about Texas since I know their laws for everything are similar to ours. That's how it should be! Don't mess with Texas right? Lol

Quoting usmom3:

If you think that is easy regulations you should see the laws for states like Texas.

oredeb
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

gee i think thats a lot you have to do for your homeschool law! to much!hahah

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Math daily
Reading daily
Handwriting daily
Literature daily (before bed)
Spelling 2/3 days
Science 2 days
History 2 days with a third day for geography some weeks
Art 1 day
Music 1 day
Nature 1 day

I think I'm missing something but that seems like a lot.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Mine will be grades 5 and 6, so I do want to make sure they are getting more out of it than just the story. So I am making other plans to go along with it. Good to know how you did it though, I like the idea of a section each lesson and history two days a week.

What subjects do you do every day and which ones once or twice a week?

Quoting Boobah:

One last post. Lol! I said we used the activity guide. That was first grade and we got through about chapter 16 that way. Now we just read the chapters, talk about them, and listen to the cds in the car. I think that much history is too much for little kids in 1-4 grade. They will be repeating the exact same info in grades 5-8 when they can handle and remember the info. So we just use it as a nice story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Lol, I really feel like it's nothing.  No number of days or hours.  Even the subjects are 'recommended' and don't have to be covered every year.  We just notify the school district once.  The portfolio eval or test is supposed to be done yearly, but doesn't have to be turned in to anyone.

Quoting oredeb:

gee i think thats a lot you have to do for your homeschool law! to much!hahah

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Just as there are some positives in public school system, there are also some negatives in homeschooling. And vice verse. But, the way we homeschooling families have been doing this for so many years the way we have, shows that (how) we are doing it it, without all the rules and regulations, IS working far beyond anyone could ever imagine. In the past andnow the present. It is our desire and concern for our childrn that has been the driving force behind all we do or not do for our kids' education. The very fact that you are recieving all kinds of help and tips and such is how you are learning what you wqant and need for your own style of teaching and learning. As of today, there aren't too many public schools that band together and hel either side to help their students excell, even the least tiniest bit. THAT is why they arefailing and homweschooling is forging ahead. WE help one anothet when asked when needed. We homeschooling families are here for one another. We work! Well. Without all the rules and regulations.

undefined

lucsch
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We have next to no requirements in Indiana except 180 days of attendence. It does not say what we have to teach or how long of a schoolday to have. I keep in mind that I want my dd to go to college, that I want more from her academic studies than a public school can do.

I start with a boxed curriculum and add to it. That helps a lot with scheduling. With other books, I just divide the number of pages in the book by the number of days or weeks we will be reading it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM
do apologize for all the spelling errors a squint to see. lol nd grammatical errors. I am onmy phone and I havetoI
annabelle125
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Here in NJ we don't have to tell anyone anything.  The law says we do have to teach  certain classes (Math, Lang Arts, etc-nothing out of the ordinary) YET we have don't have to keep any records! I could never figure that out....

Oh and we have to have 180 days but again don't have to keep records

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)