Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having no regulations seems just as difficult as having too many...

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in NH, where there are basically no regulations about hsing.  I have to notify the school distrcit, keep a portflio (only requirement is to include a list of books they read), and have an evalutaion of their portfolio by a teacher OR take a standardized test at the end of the school year.  http://nhhomeschooling.org/law

We have to cover these subjects: "science, mathematics, language, government, history, health, reading, writing, spelling, the history of the constitutions of New Hampshire and the United States, and an exposure to and appreciation of art and music"

I am starting to lay out our plan for the year and looked at a calendar and I am just lost now.  I have no idea how many days or weeks we should do.  I am just going to semi-follow the school calendar but not take as many vacas, but allow for breaks whenever the kids seem to need/want them.  Our schooling will be pretty relaxed anyway so I just don't think we will need a lot of scheduled breaks. 

We are doing SOTW for history which is where I'm starting with my lesson planning, there are 42 chapters (plus the intro) in volume one, I am guessing we can average two chapters a week (maybe one on some weeks if we want to go more in depth on something), I plan to spread it out over a year, does that seem right?  Or could/should we get through two volumes in the year?

I am pretty flexible and figure it will all kind of work itself out once we get going, but looking at it, it's just awkward to not have any guidelines to follow at all!

Edited to make link clicky.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (21-22):
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

What do you mean that you basically have no regulations? You live in a state with a lot of regulations. I would go nuts if I had to keep a portfolio and have my homeschoolers evaluated yearly.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I prefer NO regulations.  Don't want the governments nose in our family or our school :-)   OK, TX, MO, and several other states have absolutely no restrictions or requirements.  Those are the ones I love :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN