Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lego question- need ideas

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am not lego fan. But LEGOS were great for logic, architectural skills, problem-solving skills, and collaborative experiences. I wanted my daughter to play with lego. I have to give her boost by giving ideas.

Since i never played with legos , Where can i get ideas? Are there any books available for it or online material.  Is there any place where i can get it .  Are there any blogs for it?

I checked with Lego education-  it is expensive.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
They come with instruction manuals in every box you buy. She/you can also simply look outside your windows and build whatever you see. My son does that all the time. Very, very rarely does he bother with the instructions they come with. He always just takes them and builds something else that he sees or is in his head. And they always come out amazing! Moving parts and everything! :)
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Amazon has a book with tons of lego ideas.  (darn it I forgot the title).  My son is currently learning multiplication with legos.  It's not an idea I would have come up with on my own, but its working much better than paper and pencil for him.  

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:04 AM
There are e books for legos on amazon that might be something you can use.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Good idea about the multiplication!
You could try pinterest as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM
When you buy a kit it comes with directions. You can get a book with all different ideas to build with legos but you will need quite a few legos. They get pricey too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:53 AM
How does this work? My dd has a hard time with multiplication and she plays with Legos all the time. She is 10 and has none of the facts memorized.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Amazon has a book with tons of lego ideas.  (darn it I forgot the title).  My son is currently learning multiplication with legos.  It's not an idea I would have come up with on my own, but its working much better than paper and pencil for him.  

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM
My kids have the "Lego ideas book" which they love. There is also an online HS class that teaches them something each month. I can't remember the website now, I will get the link when I'm on my computer.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Look on Pinterest under Lego math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner.  I saw your question and wasn't sure how to answer.  My son is 10 and has autism along with sensory processing issues.  So, with that being said we are not traditional in our homeschooling.  We learn very organically.  We are unschoolers and I am ok with that.  I introduced the concept of multiplication several times in the middle of play.  We were putting a game away that had cards.  I said "hey look there are 3 rows of cards this way and 4 this way.  How many do you think we have total?"  Of course he had to count them out, but came up with the correct answer.  So another opportunity came up with sticks on the porch a couple days later.  "look we have 4 groups of 2 sticks."  Several days later I heard him counting by 2's while playing with legos.  ( some legos have 2 pegs, 4 times, for a total of 8) and saying to himself 2x3 = 6, 2x6 = 12 etc.  He has the 2's all figured out now.  No, its not traditional, but he's learning.  So many kids memorize the facts, but don't always get the concept behind it.  Another fun way to learn multiplication is the Montessori multiplication and division boards.  I'm going to purchase those for this year and let him play around with them.  Youtube is a good place to check those out.  Hope this helps.  

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

How does this work? My dd has a hard time with multiplication and she plays with Legos all the time. She is 10 and has none of the facts memorized.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)