Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

classical education - the stages

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

Does anyone follow the Classical Education method of education? 

They have three stages. Am I understanding the jist of what they are?

Grammar - This stage of development is just basically the mind eagerly absorbing information - and is less analytical.  

Logic - They start questioning and exloring more about the why of things and making more logical connections. There is less concrete and more abstract thinking taking place.

Rhetoric - They expand on the first to, and when they write and speak more so with "force and originality". They explore and cultivate more of their own interests, and paths in life.  

I am curious to know if it matters if the grammar stage is covered when the kids are supposed to have entired the logic stage? 

I bought Pandia Press for history and science. I didn't realize that they were in the classical style. I very much like the Classical education style. However, I bought level 1 - Ancient History, for example. That would be the grammar stage - and the next 3 in that level, are also of the grammar stage. My kids would be entering the "logical stage" this year (age wise).

My kids have never learned history or science (school didn't teach them these subjects).

I guess I am wondering how much this matters... are the stages age specific? are they flexible? Surely people have "jumped" into the the classical education and not started at the beginning. How is that typically handled?

Im not a diehard on classical education. Curious to know more though.  

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I am using the classical model as a starting block but not following it strictly. I would highly, highly recommend reading The Well Trained Mind. This gave me a much greater understanding of classical education.

To answer your specific question, I would get level 2. They are entering logic stage whether they did formal grammar stage work or not. It's a developmental milestone, not something learned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Bump for you.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM
It doesnt matter which stage, it just matters HOW you teach it. So in the grammar stage, you would require less information and such than an older stage, does that make sense? Because if you look, you will see that in grade 1 they learn the exact same time period as grade 5. Grade 2 is grade 6, 3 is 3, 4 is 8th. You teach the exact same info (and can use the exact same books even!) You just go more in depth as they get older. It is hard for a first grader to grasp exactly how long ago ancient history was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I saw someone else recommended the well trained mind book. I also recommend it, even if you arent classical. It is a great guide, very well written. We used to combine classical with charlotte mason. I have an extra copy if you are interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I have a copy, thank you though. I have been working on it. I noticed that it seems to have some Charlotte Mason concepts within it - because she recommends living books vs textbooks. She also recommends notebooking, dictation and narration... things that a lot of people who follow the Charlotte Mason method, do. I am absolutely loving this book!

Quoting Boobah:

I saw someone else recommended the well trained mind book. I also recommend it, even if you arent classical. It is a great guide, very well written. We used to combine classical with charlotte mason. I have an extra copy if you are interested.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)