Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

curriculum question

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
I know this has been asked a million and one times. I am looking for a new curc for next year (4th grade). The problem I have very specific needs with limited funds (I can't trial and error over and over) :(

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to listen!!

What I'm looking for something that would be engaging. My dd is on the spectrum (although very high functioning. She just processes things a bit differently) and very artistic. She did well on the iPad and the games. So i wouldnt be opposed to an on the computer curicculum. We are going onto 4th grade.
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Find out your students best learning styles with POC4U.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

Then see the curriculum recommendations and what seems like it would be a good fit.

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

your guidlines are pretty broad, LOL! there is so much out there that it is helpful if you give some specific detaials like secular vs. Christian material, computer based or not at all, is she a visual, auditory or kenesthetic learner, how much time do you want there to be seat work every day, and what have you tried in the past that did NOT work?

Some suggestions off the top of my head: Time4Learning mixed with work books, hands on activities, netflix videos, good literature (both for her to read and you to read to her), field trips and a library card.

LongBeachLiz
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you I will look into it!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Then see the curriculum recommendations and what seems like it would be a good fit.

LongBeachLiz
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol sorry. I say more in my head then I do online.

Secular and she's a hand on and visual learner. I don't really care much about time as I do quality. She doesn't sit well and has very little focus. It is really hard to get anything especially if she isn't interested. She has to have structure too. Without is she falls apart.

We used the spectrum workbooks for 3rd grade and that did not work at all.

I downloaded a us geography game on the iPad that she loved and surprisingly learned a lot. She actually beat the game lol. We also do classes and field trips. Museums, art class, pe.

Quoting swim-mom72:

your guidlines are pretty broad, LOL! there is so much out there that it is helpful if you give some specific detaials like secular vs. Christian material, computer based or not at all, is she a visual, auditory or kenesthetic learner, how much time do you want there to be seat work every day, and what have you tried in the past that did NOT work?

Some suggestions off the top of my head: Time4Learning mixed with work books, hands on activities, netflix videos, good literature (both for her to read and you to read to her), field trips and a library card.

101stwife
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I just got Spelling Power and will be using it with 3 of my kids this coming school year. I have had several friends recommend it to me. It is very short, sweet and to the point and they only study words that they misspell after the initial test. I like that they don't have to spend time spelling words that they already know and it takes only 15 minutes a day.

We are also going to be using Easy Grammar this year which uses a really cool approach. They teach what a prepositional phrase is, and once that is understood they have the student eliminate it leaving the rest of the sentence to teach whatever rule they are working on. Super simple and easy to understand!

These are 2 things that sound like they may work for your child. If you like an online curriculum check out time4learning:)

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This is where I would start!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

celticdragon77
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Bump for later.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Quoting usmom3:

I agree with both of these moms. Nothing more frustrating thaNn to get a curriculum and find that your child doesn't learn the way that curriculum is set up. Have you thought about doing some of your lessons with her?

undefined

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

LOL! I do that ALL the time! I think I have said something that I was thinking about, until I realize that the confused look on my husband's face is because I never told him what I thought I did : )

Honestly, I do not care for the Spectrum workbooks. Actually, workbooks in general are really just meant for occasional use and not day to day learning. When I have used workbooks, they came from Evan Moore publishers or were part of a whole curriculum. You could look at currclick.com for some great free or cheap resources that would cover a wide range of needs and subjects.

For math, given your daughter's challenges, I would suggest a combo of Time4Learning and Life of Fred.

For history, you could get some of the Drive Through History DVDs and then add some chapter books and read alouds to go along with the time period you chose.

She might really like doing the TOPS science books. Or you could buy the Usborne Big Book of scienc and pick and choose a few experiments from that. And to top it off you could let her check out some fun books at the library on topics that really interest her.

Now, language will be tricky. One, the things I have experience with that I would suggest for her are all Christian. And two, with her being on "the spectrum" you will have to be careful in choosing something gentle. Rod and Staff or Queens Language Lessons would be my choice, but they are not secular : /

Another place you might want to browse around is Timberdoodle. They have boxed sets designed for each grade level and you can swap anything in a box for omething else that fits your child, as long as they sell it on their site.

Hopefully this will help you a bit. Good luck!

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Lol sorry. I say more in my head then I do online.

Secular and she's a hand on and visual learner. I don't really care much about time as I do quality. She doesn't sit well and has very little focus. It is really hard to get anything especially if she isn't interested. She has to have structure too. Without is she falls apart.

We used the spectrum workbooks for 3rd grade and that did not work at all.

I downloaded a us geography game on the iPad that she loved and surprisingly learned a lot. She actually beat the game lol. We also do classes and field trips. Museums, art class, pe.

Quoting swim-mom72:

maggiemom2000
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN