Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Phys. Ed or otherwise called Gym.... Do you or Don't you ??

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
  • 54 Replies
As we are always talking about academic education, I am wondering if any of us consider the physical side of education, as an important part to our children's education like the academics are?

Why do you think-feel this way??

undefined

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mhaney03
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, we do martial arts twice a week and I use kitchen/food prep time to work on nutritional education.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
I believe physical activity is important if you want to have a decent length of life and be around to see your kids and grandkids. Healthy habits need to start young.

I require then kids to each pick a sport where they train 2-3 hours a week out of the home. I nag them enough about academics that I don't want to force exercise.

On top of that, they may practice on their own, we do walks and bike rides, etc.

We also do Boy Scouts. I was scoutmaster for years and brought DD along. I just got permission from the new troop to bring her sometimes. Yesterday, DS2 and I did an 8 mile hike through a wooded canyon with a beautiful stream running through it. (Yeah, most of the boys ended up in it at some point...lol)
rachel_2010
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
I think nutrition edu is lacking in public school, and a good thing to cover

And physical activity is easily covered by nature walks, camping, stuff like that. And team or organized sports as well
LongBeachLiz
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Yes. We do a homeschool school pe. Each no the is a different sport and after pe is park time for all the kids to play how they please.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

In the late summer and early fall they play soccer, so I let that be it.  Seeing as how they are constantly running and playing I'm okay with no other formal stuff.  In the winter we go for runs and hikes if it is decently warm and play wii fit if it is a blizzard or what have you.  In the spring and summer we do all kinds of "gym" activities: swimming, running, basketabll, tennis, volleyball, and of course hiking and biking.  We still follow my mom's rule that if the sun is shining in the summer we leave the house after breakfast and stay out until dark.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I required my kids to do something at least thirty minutes total a day. It didn't matter what it was. When they got to high school level I had them take classes. They found their true passions for a particular sport that way.

greenmama9801
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It is a requirement in my state even for home schoolers

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I think it is just as important as academics.  He does baseball about 6 months out of the year.  If it is nasty outside we play on the xbox Kinnect, if it is nice we go for walks, go to the park or just run around outside.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
We do a class once a week. I am also thinking about adding some sort of fun excerises as part of our day. Missie isn't interested in sports and now that she is older, she isn't as active.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I have to make it as important as reading and Math.  My sons take a PE class once a week, karate twice per week, hiking, and of course chasing our chickens.  My youngest and I get up in morning and go for run/walks together.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)