Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Phys. Ed or otherwise called Gym.... Do you or Don't you ??

Posted by   + Show Post
As we are always talking about academic education, I am wondering if any of us consider the physical side of education, as an important part to our children's education like the academics are?

Why do you think-feel this way??

undefined

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
Joann.HS
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I'm a fan and big believer of physical activity. I think it helps stimulate a lot of good things mentally as well.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Dd is signed up to start soccer this fall and I plan to always have her in some sort of team or group sport like that. She's taking swim lessons through the summer and she is in two dance classes. Come fall she will need to pick only one dance class due to tuition costs and too many activities (piano and awana also start in the fall) but I will start requiring daily practice for dance. It's highland dance she's in and that's a serious workout.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabelle125
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM

We don't do a "formal" PE program. But, DD plays soccer and dances.  In fact she has dance classes 5-6 days a week during the school year and 1-2 days in the summer.  Plus she is always doing something--running, playing, biking, roller skating.  

The "public"--he is the one I have to boot out of the house-- he plays soccer, basketball and runs track  BUT just going out to play--- like pulling teeth.

I do teach "Health" under Science.

RheaF
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

We do not do anything formal. My kids are active enough though. They play, they swim, etc. This year DD is getting back into ballet and we are all runners. As far as nutrition goes, they learn by doing. We eat a balanced diet, and try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. IDK, I just never felt the need for a curriculum to teach what they are already learning everyday.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I am not too sure if there needs to be a formal class for physical activity. Especially if your kids like to run around the house and or yard.

Quoting RheaF:

We do not do anything formal. My kids are active enough though. They play, they swim, etc. This year DD is getting back into ballet and we are all runners. As far as nutrition goes, they learn by doing. We eat a balanced diet, and try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. IDK, I just never felt the need for a curriculum to teach what they are already learning everyday.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Oh absolutely. I am a trained chef and know that proper diet is key for proper health. I teach my children this in each meal that we prepare.

Along with that we do a regular routine of yoga, walking, and hiking plus time at the local parks. We enjoy exercise so this is no change for us. I think children and adults need to be active to truly be alive.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Seems to me that you have physical activity all covered. Lol

Quoting annabelle125:

We don't do a "formal" PE program. But, DD plays soccer and dances.  In fact she has dance classes 5-6 days a week during the school year and 1-2 days in the summer.  Plus she is always doing something--running, playing, biking, roller skating.  

The "public"--he is the one I have to boot out of the house-- he plays soccer, basketball and runs track  BUT just going out to play--- like pulling teeth.

I do teach "Health" under Science.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I totally agree with your last statement. It is truly amazing how our minds are affected by how much or how little physical activity we accomplish.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Oh absolutely. I am a trained chef and know that proper diet is key for proper health. I teach my children this in each meal that we prepare.

Along with that we do a regular routine of yoga, walking, and hiking plus time at the local parks. We enjoy exercise so this is no change for us. I think children and adults need to be active to truly be alive.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I love highland dance! :)

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Dd is signed up to start soccer this fall and I plan to always have her in some sort of team or group sport like that. She's taking swim lessons through the summer and she is in two dance classes. Come fall she will need to pick only one dance class due to tuition costs and too many activities (piano and awana also start in the fall) but I will start requiring daily practice for dance. It's highland dance she's in and that's a serious workout.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I think the same way. :)

Quoting Joann.HS:

I'm a fan and big believer of physical activity. I think it helps stimulate a lot of good things mentally as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)