Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Phys. Ed or otherwise called Gym.... Do you or Don't you ??

Posted by   + Show Post
As we are always talking about academic education, I am wondering if any of us consider the physical side of education, as an important part to our children's education like the academics are?

Why do you think-feel this way??

undefined

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
xomrs.chase
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM
One sport a year will be mandatory. He can choose which one. Other than that- walks, hikes, etc will continue to happen :)
lucsch
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We do a health book each year. We do talk more about exercise than she practically gets done. I bought an exercise bike which she loves, she has wII dance, she takes a weekly dance class, we go on walks when weather permits, and we have exercise DVDs we do on occasion. For high school, she will have to do a year's worth of something for credit.

oredeb
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM

we always did something physical, like gymnastics, little league baseball, nature walks, baseball out in the field, capture the flag, frissbee tag, hiking, every year we'd do the local christian school olympics(they let our homeschool group join in)  i think exercise is good for the brain! gets you to thinking etc!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I wish I could learn martial sets for just myself. :)

Quoting mhaney03:

Yes, we do martial arts twice a week and I use kitchen/food prep time to work on nutritional education.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You should! I've been training for about two years and love it! Talk about a total body workout!

Quoting kirbymom:

I wish I could learn martial sets for just myself. :)

Quoting mhaney03:

Yes, we do martial arts twice a week and I use kitchen/food prep time to work on nutritional education.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I believe physical activity is important if you want to have a decent length of life and be around to see your kids and grandkids. Healthy habits need to start young.

I require then kids to each pick a sport where they train 2-3 hours a week out of the home. I nag them enough about academics that I don't want to force exercise.

On top of that, they may practice on their own, we do walks and bike rides, etc.

We also do Boy Scouts. I was scoutmaster for years and brought DD along. I just got permission from the new troop to bring her sometimes. Yesterday, DS2 and I did an 8 mile hike through a wooded canyon with a beautiful stream running through it. (Yeah, most of the boys ended up in it at some point...lol)

I am surprised you have time for anything!!!! LOL Let alone do martial arts for yourself! You are an inspiration for all of us :)
101stwife
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

My home school group does PE on Fridays. However, we have never attended. All of my kids are very active so I don't really see it as necessary. The boys are in baseball, track and field, paintball and swimming and my daughter does ballet and swimming. Not to mention the hikes that we take, so I don't feel we need it as a class.

TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I keep my kids active (we do K12, so we have to log PE hours every week), my son did baseball this year and we're going to do soccer for both. When there isn't a team sport going on then we do our own. I'll have them do short races against each other, gardening or wii as a family. We also have hula hoops outside or play jump rope. I definitely think staying active is important.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Quoting rachel_2010:

I think nutrition edu is lacking in public school, and a good thing to cover

And physical activity is easily covered by nature walks, camping, stuff like that. And team or organized sports as well

I think you are right. I wish they had not taken out Home Ec. or that part of health class that was needed to pass on to the next grade. The kids lost an important class that day. :(
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Quoting 101stwife:

My home school group does PE on Fridays. However, we have never attended. All of my kids are very active so I don't really see it as necessary. The boys are in baseball, track and field, paintball and swimming and my daughter does ballet and swimming. Not to mention the hikes that we take, so I don't feel we need it as a class.

I feel the same way. As long as the kids are active more than not, I don't think there needs to be a specific class for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN