Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Phys. Ed or otherwise called Gym.... Do you or Don't you ??

Posted by   + Show Post
As we are always talking about academic education, I am wondering if any of us consider the physical side of education, as an important part to our children's education like the academics are?

Why do you think-feel this way??

undefined

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Quoting TheMommysLife:

I keep my kids active (we do K12, so we have to log PE hours every week), my son did baseball this year and we're going to do soccer for both. When there isn't a team sport going on then we do our own. I'll have them do short races against each other, gardening or wii as a family. We also have hula hoops outside or play jump rope. I definitely think staying active is important.

So, when do you have time to sleep or eat?? lol
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
*blushes*

I've decided I thrive on chaos. If I'm not just, I get so keyed up.

It keeps the kids out n about!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I believe physical activity is important if you want to have a decent length of life and be around to see your kids and grandkids. Healthy habits need to start young.

I require then kids to each pick a sport where they train 2-3 hours a week out of the home. I nag them enough about academics that I don't want to force exercise.

On top of that, they may practice on their own, we do walks and bike rides, etc.

We also do Boy Scouts. I was scoutmaster for years and brought DD along. I just got permission from the new troop to bring her sometimes. Yesterday, DS2 and I did an 8 mile hike through a wooded canyon with a beautiful stream running through it. (Yeah, most of the boys ended up in it at some point...lol)

I am surprised you have time for anything!!!! LOL Let alone do martial arts for yourself! You are an inspiration for all of us :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
*blushes*

I've decided I thrive on chaos. If I'm not just, I get so keyed up.

It keeps the kids out n about!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I believe physical activity is important if you want to have a decent length of life and be around to see your kids and grandkids. Healthy habits need to start young.

I require then kids to each pick a sport where they train 2-3 hours a week out of the home. I nag them enough about academics that I don't want to force exercise.

On top of that, they may practice on their own, we do walks and bike rides, etc.

We also do Boy Scouts. I was scoutmaster for years and brought DD along. I just got permission from the new troop to bring her sometimes. Yesterday, DS2 and I did an 8 mile hike through a wooded canyon with a beautiful stream running through it. (Yeah, most of the boys ended up in it at some point...lol)

I am surprised you have time for anything!!!! LOL Let alone do martial arts for yourself! You are an inspiration for all of us :)

TheMommysLife
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do all of that everyday, lol!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting TheMommysLife:

I keep my kids active (we do K12, so we have to log PE hours every week), my son did baseball this year and we're going to do soccer for both. When there isn't a team sport going on then we do our own. I'll have them do short races against each other, gardening or wii as a family. We also have hula hoops outside or play jump rope. I definitely think staying active is important.

So, when do you have time to sleep or eat?? lol

Christie1952
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We called it getting outside and playing!

mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Phys ed= playing outside, going to the park, and any dance or sport they want to do. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM
We do two 8 week (i think?) sessions of homeschool gym and swim at the YMCA. Then just lots of play!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I think it is important.  We will be doing one sport per season, plus any other physical activities my children want to do.  Our future health classes will include learning about why physical activity is important.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Quoting Christie1952:

We called it getting outside and playing!

LOL - :) So did my mother! ahahahahah a
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Phys ed= playing outside, going to the park, and any dance or sport they want to do. 

Even running up and down the stairs should qualify as phys. ed. wouldn't you think? :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)