Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

do homeschoolers qualify for educator discounts or status?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was on my way to an education supply store and wondered if homeschoolers can register as teachers. I'm curious about zoos, museums, science centers, and anywhere you may go for field trips and such as well. Can you all share some tips, if any, I may consider as I embark on my first year at home. I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask. Some places do give you a discount. I got one at Barnes and Noble. I've heard Staples is good at that too.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Some places may and some have discounts just for homeschoolers. Never hurts to ask.
celticdragon77
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM

In Pa, they offer tax exempt cards for teachers and businesses - but not for homeschoolers. 

I can get a teachers library card and free parking pass though. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson *FIRE DRILL*

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I think it depends on the company.

B&N offers the educator discount card to homeschoolers but wants you to "prove" you homeschool. In Indiana, we don't prove it - we just do it - so they just gave me the card - but I've heard of people having to literally go into WORD and type up a fake letterhead and letter saying "Blah Blah Homeschool...." to get it. But you do save 20% off all sorts of things, so it's nice.

Our local video store gives free rental coupons for A's on report cards. We don't do report cards, so the lady just gave each of my kids 5 coupons anyway :) which was cool. (Five is their max per child)

That's all I can think of. We have teacher supply stores but you have to be a paying member of an organization (like a cooperative) whether full time teaching or homeschooling, but then you get a discount on lamination and some items. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
I just make a teacher is card for myself each fall. Never had it denied.
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I have discount cards for Staples and Barnes & Noble. I show them that card at Michaels, JoAnnes, and Hobby Lobby and get a discount there as well. I get discounts at small art studios locally and at local museums.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Also, we can get discounts at places like COSI.
IntlMom12
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM

How do you make it? What do you include?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I just make a teacher is card for myself each fall. Never had it denied.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I went to a free I'd card website and put our homeschool name, my name, photo, address. I took it to kinkos and had it laminated.It looks like any business id.

My oldest son needed a photo id. with a birthdate to fly by himself to my in-law's house so I made him one too. It worked just fine.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Not familiar with COSI what is it?

Quoting mem82:

Also, we can get discounts at places like COSI.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN