Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Public School Method Or Home School Methods

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 3 Replies
2 moms liked this

The choice is really up to you the educator.  The public school method works just fine for some children, and it is a disaster for others. Some children prefer the Conventional Method (P.S. Method).  My granddaughter is one such child.  She says she likes the structure.   Here on Cafe Mom one will find both both approaches used, and we support you in what ever works for you and your family.

As a tutor, I often get the children whom the public school method is failing.  They are often simply "hands on learners", or active children that are falsely labeled as "problem child", or"ADHD" (not, saying that condition does not exist).  It is so painful to watch what happens to these children who do not respond to the Conventional Method.  They feel like something is wrong with them, or that they are "stupid". They are even called "stupid" by other children,  But it is not them that is wrong, it is  the one size fits all approach in our public schools that is wrong.  Even teachers are against the one size fits all approach they are mandated to use.  College professors complain that too many children now arrive at college able to pass the entrance exams, but unable to do basic math without a calculator, or  read at grade level...and they say it is getting worse.  

Home educators have removed their children from public schools for many reasons.  An increasing number are leaving the P.S. system because of the things I describe in the second paragraph.  Teachers are now the biggest influx into the home school venue.  Many home educators  are understandably concerned that the one size fits all approach mandated in public schools will spill over into the home school arena by way of back door regulations. They often join The Home School Legal Defense Association, or support their State Home School Association lobbyist to prevent such a thing ever harming their child again.

What Are The Back Door Regulations?

Roger Williams, a veteran home school dad, explains it so well in Will Home Educators Avoid This Bullet

So if you use the Conventional Method, and it is working for you, we support you.  We also support you if your child has been harmed by that method, and will help you find what will work.   But please do not take offense if another home educator points out their concerns about some of the back door regulations described by Roger Williams.  It is not that we are anti-government by any means.  It is simply to protect everyone's right to choose, including yours. 

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

P.S. Sometimes veteran home school parents are looked down upon.  But I personally owe them a great deal.  They paved the way for the rest of us, and went through many struggles to do so.

oredeb
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

good article roma!!! thats something that theres more and more teachers chosing homeschooling! i remember years ago when (in our area) that the teachers were always bashing the homeschoolers! good to see that they recognize the worth of hsing!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

It is a double edged sword, Oredeb.  The home school venue is now growing faster than  public school enrollment, which makes us a target for those who like to regulate home school into the image and likeness of the public schools.  So we need to protect the freedom parents share here...supportive and honest at the same time.  I hope my article achieved that.

Quoting oredeb:

good article roma!!! thats something that theres more and more teachers chosing homeschooling! i remember years ago when (in our area) that the teachers were always bashing the homeschoolers! good to see that they recognize the worth of hsing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)