Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question for Homeschoolers!! Need Advice!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I am a certified elementary school teacher with a masters in literacy and a gifted certification. I just recently left public school teaching after 13 years because I strongly disagree about many issues and could no longer be a part. I am very supportive of homeschooling and think it is a very noble thing for parents who are making many sacrifices for their kids!

I am starting a new business tutoring in my community...I am also going to be a resource for homeschool families and groups. I am offering planning assistance, assistance teaching difficult concepts, homework help, substitute teaching, as well as teaching small groups special interest classes, such as art, enrichment, book clubs, listening skills, etc.

Is this something you would want as a homeschoolers? Are there other areas of need homeschooling communities need?? I really appreciate honest feedback!!

Thank you,

Melanie Kross
💫💫🌟🙈👼7⃣
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't afford to pay, but special interest classes sound found.  I like to have my kids involved in both class settings and not.  I don't think the others were trying to be rude.  A lot of us have had bad teachers in public school or bad situations. 

Mine was mostly what do you do with a gifted child when no one has room for her and she does not fit socially or emotionally in any of the grades she fits academically.  Oh I know have her be responsible for getting to the correct classes in Kindergarten and have her help teach the other kids.  Her teacher was great just had no clue what to do with her.

There is a special place for what you are trying to do but it depends on the family and if they can really afford it.  Most of us do sacrifice a lot finacially so that we can homeschool.  I know my family does.  We have to be careful and I have to be able to be home during the day.  I am home all the time and do not get a job and we live only on my husband's VA disability and school money.  Not a lot but it pays the bills, we just have to be careful, and a class like yours would be a want not a need. 

Quoting MelanieKross:

Great advice, thanks!  I couldn't afford to homeschool my own children, so I assumed a lot of people who can would be willing to pay for somebody if they ever get stuck...Thanks for letting me know, and for being polite!

Maridel
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this

No, a lot of us who homeschool make a lot of financial sacrifices in order to be able to homeschool. So I agree, I would love to be a part of some fun group or class, but it's not something I could afford to pay a lot for. So keep it affordable. And I don't think anyone was trying to be rude, a lot of homeschoolers just have a different way of doing things than the way that is taught in a public school setting. It's the reason we homeschool. I suggest looking into the different methods of homeschooling, including unschooling, so you could better relate to the homeschooling community and have a better understanding of what they woould looking for in a class or group. 

Quoting MelanieKross:

Great advice, thanks!  I couldn't afford to homeschool my own children, so I assumed a lot of people who can would be willing to pay for somebody if they ever get stuck...Thanks for letting me know, and for being polite!

Maridel
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

this exactly

Quoting romacox:

I would recommend attending your State Home School Association Annual Conference, and local co-ops to put your service out there, and to find out how you can best serve home educators needs.  Some states require an evaluation by a certified teacher.  If your State does, this would be an area you could serve, but first find out from others, who provide this service,  what is needed.  There is a lot of misinformation out there by the department of education....as you well know.

You may also want to learn about the different methods used by home educators....Home School is not the classroom.

MelanieKross
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

FYI there are some amazing pubic school teachers out there who can bring very low kids to much higher levels.  Public school is not evil, my goodness.  Jesus loves everybody, why are you so judgemental?  Maybe I should offer "How to be Kind to Others" as an adult class?

Thank you for proving people right who say you are not very nice people.  Public school has had its place and helps many people.  I was defending you!!  Not everybody can afford to homeschool, but if I did I wouldn't put down public schools.  Enjoy your lives, and I am a little worried about some of your kids' people skills if they act like some of you.  FYI...People skills are most important in life...:)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it really depends on the area you are in. I suggest to look for local homeschooling groups on yahoo and see what needs exist in your area. I also suggest you become familiar with the different homeschooling methods. My sons attend two weekly co-ops that are very academic. They take classes in Art, computer science, science and chess. I personally look for classes for them in areas they are passionate about. I am not sure what type of teacher you are but most homeschoolers look for classes that are hands on and creative. I just recently taught a class called geography through Art. It went over extremely well. I am currently working on a creative math class. I am using k'nex, origami(math in motion), and art to teach math concepts. I just want to say that I have a lot of respect for talented teachers. I had quite a few awesome teachers in elementary and high school.
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Really?!  No one was being rude.  No one said that ALL public school teachers are evil demons.  They all gave their opinion, which is what you asked for.  I don't know why you seem to think that anyone was rude to you.  I guess your preconcieved notions got the better of you and you just decided everyone was being bitchy because you had been told homeschoolers were rude.  Maybe you need to take a class on how not to be passive aggressive when you don't get the answers you were looking for.

PS, now you can bitch that someone was actually rude to you. 

Quoting MelanieKross:

FYI there are some amazing pubic school teachers out there who can bring very low kids to much higher levels.  Public school is not evil, my goodness.  Jesus loves everybody, why are you so judgemental?  Maybe I should offer "How to be Kind to Others" as an adult class?

Thank you for proving people right who say you are not very nice people.  Public school has had its place and helps many people.  I was defending you!!  Not everybody can afford to homeschool, but if I did I wouldn't put down public schools.  Enjoy your lives, and I am a little worried about some of your kids' people skills if they act like some of you.  FYI...People skills are most important in life...:)

MelanieKross
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Thank you very much...:)  I teach all subjets i elementary school and have been an artist my whole life.  I'm sad to see creativity being taken out of public schools.  I love teaching art, and bringing art into my classes when I teach.  Hands on is the only way to teach young children, I agree...:)  See, we are not as ignorant as people think!  (Well, some are!)  I honestly love what you all are doing and wanted to help in any way, that's all.  If there's no need, that's what I needed to know! Thanks for your kindness and God bless!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM
3 moms liked this

I respect what you said, in your op,  about not liking what is happening in public schools. That is why I clicked like. Obviously you care about the children and their education.

I also appreciated what you said below about hands on learning, and loving what home educators are doing.  Teachers are given a bum rap when it comes to what is happening in public schools. They and the children are the victims of over regulation by bureaucrats who never taught even one child.

MelanieKross, there is a place for you, but like bluerooffarm, who was also a teacher, said:  "making the transition is harder than you might think."   However, if you are willing to do some research about how home education is so very different than public schools,  your love for the kids does have a place here, and we welcome you. After all, bluerooffarm obviously made the transition

. Welcome MelanieKross

welcome

Quoting MelanieKross:

Thank you very much...:)  I teach all subjets i elementary school and have been an artist my whole life.  I'm sad to see creativity being taken out of public schools.  I love teaching art, and bringing art into my classes when I teach.  Hands on is the only way to teach young children, I agree...:)  See, we are not as ignorant as people think!  (Well, some are!)  I honestly love what you all are doing and wanted to help in any way, that's all.  If there's no need, that's what I needed to know! Thanks for your kindness and God bless!

mylovey
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

To be honest, I probably would if I had a need. 

all2gethernow
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. No one was rude, just honest. No one said any of those things!!!
As for rude-during my years of homeschooling, I encountered MANY look down their nose type teachers who knew nothing about the concept of homeschooling. But I always just smiled and moved on. Never called them rude or got defensive. Maybe THIS attitude is part of the reason we homeschool???
Jeez!! That was an unwarranted attack on us. Take a chill pill

And as for not being able to "afford it"...I did it as a single mom waitress for five years- with four kids. Maybe not paying someone else to do it for me made that possible.

Rude!

Quoting kmath:

Really?!  No one was being rude.  No one said that ALL public school teachers are evil demons.  They all gave their opinion, which is what you asked for.  I don't know why you seem to think that anyone was rude to you.  I guess your preconcieved notions got the better of you and you just decided everyone was being bitchy because you had been told homeschoolers were rude.  Maybe you need to take a class on how not to be passive aggressive when you don't get the answers you were looking for.

PS, now you can bitch that someone was actually rude to you. 

Quoting MelanieKross:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN